fear of escalators

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

fear of escalators

Postby Rosie-posie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:03 am

recently I have developed a real fear of escalators especially going down them a few months ago I lost my footing and over balanced and since then I've been really scared of falling. I went to see Toy Story 3 last night and my boyfriend was being really supportive and encouraging and kept saying he wouldnt let me fall etc etc. I felt such an idiot when I had to go down the stairs, in my head I know rationally there is a very small percentage that I will fall and there's nothing to worry about. I think it's partly because when I was younger my friends never understood my fear of falling and would often tease me and refuse to help me and consequently making my anxiety about the situations a lot worse. Any advice about building my confidence in this situation would be much appriciated. I don't want to spend the rest of my life being anxious about going down there.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Re: fear of escalators

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:21 pm

I am too. I always take the stairs, but there isn't any then my mum stands in front and I hold onto her. It's not just a dyspraxic thing. There are loads of people I know who are scared of escalators.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:45 pm

I don't have a fear of escalators but I do always feel unbalanced on them.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:20 pm

I feel quite unsteady on them but I would't say I have a fear of them, they just uncomfortable to go on.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 pm

*hugs* I'm glads your boyfriend is so supportive.

There are therapies available for severe phobias, but you would probably have to pay to get them because they were hard enough to get on the NHS before the cuts.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby JamesStanley » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I dislike escalators however i do still use them if i have to but i usually hold on to the sides tight. :evil:
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby ThatMadHatter » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:50 pm

*hugs*
I know what thats like, i have a big fear of escalators too and none of my friends or family would help me cause they thought it was stupid so i always tell myself 'just focus on good thoughts or another place, imagine your somewhere else and it'll be over soon :) it works sometimes but not always...
Uniqueness! Eccentricity! FTW!
ThatMadHatter
Advanced Member

Postby Cynamon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:17 am

I'm scared of them too, and lifts.

It doesn't help since I can't walk properly. I won't go on them though if I can avoid it, even if it means spending 10 minutes struggling up a flight of stairs.
Cynamon

Postby Alice » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:13 pm

My Grandma is afraid of escelators. I'm fine with them. Lifts on the other hand...
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby carebear15 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:39 pm

I am with you on that. i hang on the rail.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wm1995 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 pm

I don't mind too much, unless it's on the Tube, partially because they're really long, but mostly because all I can think of is the King's Cross fire disaster of 1987. I just grip tightly and think that at least it's not a wooden one. I therefore do not plan on going to Greenford tube station.

Be thankful that your boyfriend is supportive, and try to think of something else.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby Philip » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:27 pm

I not a bit fan of escaltors I dislike going down the most, I always take stairs.

As for lifts I dislike them, always take the stairs no matter how many floors there are in the buidling.
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat