Speed Attacks

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Speed Attacks

Postby Remus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:38 pm

Dan wrote:I know sort of what you mean. How much sleep do you get each night? Also, you should get your blood pressure checked. Just because your family has a history of high blood pressure doesn't exclude the possibility of you having low blood pressure.

My friend has a BP of 100/60 and he has the same problems described here. I take all my mate's blood pressure for fun. I have stage 2 hypertension (baaaad) so I am always taking it as I am exercising to try and cut it down.

It really depends on what is going on but now in the holidays because my insomnia is really bad, I usually get to sleep around 3 or 4 in the morning (it was 5am the other day) but because I haven't got nothing to do but relax in the holidays, I find I'm sleeping in until 1 or 2 in the afternoon which is just awful because half the day gone. But in a normal schedule I would say max would be about 4-5 hours. I've always has trouble with sleeping, I just cannot seem to switch off unless it has been a really tiring day but of course, in summer that doesn't work.

Well I'm going to see my doctor soon anyway, I have to go chase after those missing MRI results. I'll ask him about it then.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I think you should ask your doctor about it Remus.

Maybe you can exercise more in the day so you are more tired when you try to go to sleep?
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:51 pm

A fairly light but effective "herbal" treatment is Melatonin. You can get it in most health shops. It occurs naturally in the brain and is involved in dreaming and sleeping. It's quite effective as a first stop for sleeping but I said herbal in quotes as it's not really herbal. It's just a synthetic version of a substance found in the brain. I recommend it.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Dan, I've heard of Melatonin before. It's naturally occuring in milk, if I'm not correct? I drink lots of the stuff but I'm guessing the raw substance has more of an effect. I will check that out, I'm guessing a place like Holland and Barrett or something similar would have it.

My writing is really helping though as whilst it's not physical, mental it is quite taxing. I think that last chapter blew a couple of bulbs, a lot got on in it. I'm off to bed now plus I'm setting my alarm earlier each day by a hour trying to get a routine going.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:48 am

Remus wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys.

Dan, I've heard of Melatonin before. It's naturally occuring in milk, if I'm not correct? I drink lots of the stuff but I'm guessing the raw substance has more of an effect. I will check that out, I'm guessing a place like Holland and Barrett or something similar would have it.

My writing is really helping though as whilst it's not physical, mental it is quite taxing. I think that last chapter blew a couple of bulbs, a lot got on in it. I'm off to bed now plus I'm setting my alarm earlier each day by a hour trying to get a routine going.

Just read this:

http://www.maxim.co.uk/fitness/asktheex ... sleep.html

It appears that milk contains Tryptophan; the precursor to serotonin which incidentally is the precursor to melatonin. I don't think Holland and Barrett sell it but you can have a look. Valerian root works too but don't bother with homeopathic rubbish. You probably have sense and don't believe in that stuff but I'm just warning you it's pap before you look into it. ;)

5-HTP also helps with sleep and is a reasonable antidepressant with few side effects. I'd recommend it.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks for the advice, Dan. I will check that out.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Spoon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:30 pm

i agree you should go to the doctors. Only thing i will say is that 'dizzy' is a very vague word. Try and describe the sensation to the doctor as best you can. Does the room spin? Do you feel faint? Are there any triggers? Is it worse when you close your eyes. These are the sorts of things your doctor will want to know.
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks, I'll make sure to include as much info as I can.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:14 am

I get very light headed and things start spinning in front of my eyes when I stand up too quickly, particularly first thing in the morning or getting out of a hot bath-I remember almost fainting when I was fourteen after getting out of a really hot bath too quickly.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Dan wrote:A fairly light but effective "herbal" treatment is Melatonin. You can get it in most health shops. It occurs naturally in the brain and is involved in dreaming and sleeping. It's quite effective as a first stop for sleeping but I said herbal in quotes as it's not really herbal. It's just a synthetic version of a substance found in the brain. I recommend it.

Dan, I've had meletonin myself and it worked, but it's not really not apropriate to be recomending it on a forum for teenagers. Doctors are advised not to perscribe Meletonin to people who are still going through puberty. I'm not sure what the dosage difference is, but at the end of the day the over the counter tablets have the same substance in them since it would not be called melatonin otherwise.

I've noticed that your habbit for handing out advice on medical drugs is gradually getting a little out of hand. I'm sure we've all done it where we shouldn't, but could you please try and do it a little less.

Sorry if that sounds kind of bossy, but it worries me that people often listen to unqualified friends on the internet more than they do their doctors.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:26 am

Alice wrote:
Dan wrote:A fairly light but effective "herbal" treatment is Melatonin. You can get it in most health shops. It occurs naturally in the brain and is involved in dreaming and sleeping. It's quite effective as a first stop for sleeping but I said herbal in quotes as it's not really herbal. It's just a synthetic version of a substance found in the brain. I recommend it.

Dan, I've had meletonin myself and it worked, but it's not really not apropriate to be recomending it on a forum for teenagers. Doctors are advised not to perscribe Meletonin to people who are still going through puberty. I'm not sure what the dosage difference is, but at the end of the day the over the counter tablets have the same substance in them since it would not be called melatonin otherwise.

I've noticed that your habbit for handing out advice on medical drugs is gradually getting a little out of hand. I'm sure we've all done it where we shouldn't, but could you please try and do it a little less.

Sorry if that sounds kind of bossy, but it worries me that people often listen to unqualified friends on the internet more than they do their doctors.

Erm. To my knowledge Remus is hardly a young teenager. It's sold in health shops to people of all ages. This thread is about a health problem and I don't see why it was posted here if advice wasn't sought. To be honest. I've handed out medical advice twice. Once when I suggested that SSRIs are not all dandy and after that thread I tried them and had an absolutely horrendous withdrawal process. I don't see how this is out of hand. I'm used to posting on forums where people giving advice about simple herbal treatments is encouraged. If people ask for help with a subject I'm interested in I'm going to respond with what I know. Obviously I'm not a doctor but if me recommending an incredibly benign supplement is wrong then people guessing about what the speed attacks is much worse. If we're going to get melodramatic we could say somebody with low blood pressure could be suffering from an awful condition. Chances are that's not the case. If you're going to be like this then I say all medical threads should just be answered with "Go to a doctor." but that's rude and not communal at all.

You could go as far to say that any advice offered at all is dangerous because we're not all psychologists. I'd disagree with this though because we have experience that we can share with people to help. I have experience with Melatonin, I'm sharing my experience. That's it.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:05 pm

I think the last time was more of an issue than this time. I'm not saying that you're out of hand as such, just that you're treading a line. I'm sorry if you feel offended, but I get allot of stories from my Mum about patients that didn't come to see her sooner or didn't listen because of what they were advised online, it can make things more difficult to sort out and it worries me sometimes when I come on forums and people are handing out advice about drugs which they're not really qualified to give.

And I do know Remus isn't a young teenager, but he's not the only one reading this. I'm just trying to say be careful.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Advice online can be both dangerous and beneficial. The majority of the time, however, it scares people into going to doctors which is mostly a good thing. Of course going to a doctor is always the better option but I assumed because it was a post on the forum, it wasn't serious enough for a doctor visit.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Macha » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:55 pm

I have that too. I went to the hospital, they checked my blood pressure, said that wasn't the cause. And that's it, still waiting on any more followups.
Macha
Forum Master

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat