speaking problems

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

speaking problems

Postby Debbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:08 pm

not sure if it right place to post in

I noticed lately that I seem to be stuttering, it happened alittle earlyer and my dad had to say the word for me, cause i couldnt get it out.
and another thing is that my sentences seem to be gettin muddled up when im speaking

I also can't explain myself properly, I forget what i was goin to say aswell.

Im not sure what it is
any1 have idea what could be wrong? Ive tried to explain best i can and would apperciate any answers :) thanks
Debbie
Forum Master

Re: speaking problems

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:10 am

No, that happens to all of us here. Once I was trying to say "observational" but couldn't and I got so frustrated that I threw my hairbrush to wall :evil: Most of the time, I have to speak phonetically if I can't say the word but unfortunately, it just makes me more frustrated.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby abi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:44 am

i get that too, yesterday, i said cervical wrong, and got a right bolloking from one of the guys.

i know what you mean by the not explainig yourself, its like you know what something is, but cant explain it. i find the best thing to do is to write bullet points out of what you want to say, and after a while, you might not need to write them out. this helps me organise what im going to say.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Debbie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:31 pm

MontyDyspraxia wrote:No, that happens to all of us here. Once I was trying to say "observational" but couldn't and I got so frustrated that I threw my hairbrush to wall :evil: Most of the time, I have to speak phonetically if I can't say the word but unfortunately, it just makes me more frustrated.

yea i agree it can get frustrating and bit embaressing.
Debbie
Forum Master

Postby Debbie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:35 pm

abi wrote:i get that too, yesterday, i said cervical wrong, and got a right bolloking from one of the guys.

i know what you mean by the not explainig yourself, its like you know what something is, but cant explain it. i find the best thing to do is to write bullet points out of what you want to say, and after a while, you might not need to write them out. this helps me organise what im going to say.

The guy shouldn't give a bollocking cause you couldnt get a word out.

The writing it down bit is a good point, but that difficult for me aswell ive tried it before,
any more disabilitys that causes this?
Debbie
Forum Master

Postby Rosie-posie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:01 pm

I do that quite a bit too, I think a lot of people who are shy or lacking in confidence may do the same not necessarily a disability thing.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:04 pm

The other day was the first time I tried to hold a full conversation when the part of my brain that handles that was on strike. Normally it's in a crowd or noisy situation, so I can avoid saying anything. I didn't pronounce anything wrong but it was a real struggle to express myself. I was speaking as if I was just learning to talk (disjointed words, only getting out about one to represent an entire sentence), and the strain on my voicbox from attempting to pronounce the words I could was becoming very uncomfortable.

Often words just get stuck for no reason, and it apears I have a stammer when I don't. I can pronounce most English words but fail totally at foreign languages.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:24 pm

I get that too. Some words will just not come out at all. It happens more if I'm nervous or stressed out.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:09 pm

I get this problem too. It is very frustrating.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Dizzy D » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:32 am

my sentences seem to be gettin muddled up when im speaking
I also can't explain myself properly, I forget what i was goin to say aswell.

I get this all the time, convosations with me take about half an houre!
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby Debbie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 am

i was wonderin if it the dyspraxia what causes it?
and i know one person who i can have a convo with without gettin muddled up :)
Debbie
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:04 am

I get what I call speech blocks sometimes when I know exactly what to say but can't physically say it. It gets very frustrating at times.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Debbie wrote:i was wonderin if it the dyspraxia what causes it?
and i know one person who i can have a convo with without gettin muddled up :)

yes it is to do with dyspraxia

people quite often get me to repeat what I said, most of the time I do but sometimes I dont, as it gets fustrated

there on lecture at my college that I refuse to talk in his lessons as he moans if I cant say a word, which makes feel stupid, so i justr perfer not to say anything.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Super Nekou » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:18 pm

I'm told I'm the worst explainer ever. I always assume that everyone has had the same thoughts or experiences I have, so I tend to miss huge gaps off of things. Drives my boyfriend nuts. And I'm told I also mumble at times.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby monkey » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 pm

I have dificultiy with this also. It can be fustraiting. I can comunicate beter with typing or writing. So I am very lucky. Some people have trouble with this adn have trouble with typing and writign also.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat