Aspiration to Read

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Aspiration to Read

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Recently, I have become very frustrated about the subject of reading. Well, truth be told, I’ve had this feeling for most of my life. There are so many great books out there that I would love to read, but I simply can’t. The words are always too small and that scares me, which is why I prefer children’s books. I’m the type of person who waits for the film adaptation or just purchases the audiotape. But as an aspiring author, I’d love to see literacy events as they were originally envisioned, on the page, in plain old black ink; not all mangled and rewritten on the TV screen. And what’s more frustrating is that my sister Lucy is a bookworm and she can finish a 700-paged book in just one day. It’s not fair. I really wish I could be like her. If I was, maybe my writing skills would improve and I’d love for that to happen.

I have the best eyesight in my family, so you don’t think I’d benefit from reading glasses? You know for the smaller fonts? I’ve started setting myself a target, which is to read a chapter a day. Is there anything else I can do? Can anyone help? I’m really starting to stress over this and watching Lucy with her nose constantly in a book makes me envious and it makes me tearful.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Aspiration to Read

Postby bpcooper » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:36 pm

I have the exact same problem when it comes to reading fiction but mine might be due to another reason why.
I struggle to understand things when they are wrote down and cannot visualize what is going on in the book, which is the reason I like movie adaptions of books too as you don't need to visualize.
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Yeah, and illustrations help too.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:36 pm

I have the same problem. My coloured glasess do help quite a bit. Have you been teastd for Irlen Syndrome to see if coloured glasess would make reading easier for you? Do you find you keep skipping words without realising and do you find it hard to focus on blocks of text?
Creative
Forum God !

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:29 pm

No, I've never heard of it. Though I do have mild dyslexia. And yes, reading blocks of texts is difficult for me. Paragraphs (especially long ones) seem to merge together and it makes me sick to my stomach just looking at it.

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Spoon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Try using a coloured overlay to see if it helps. A good way of testing htis is to change the background colour on microsoft word to find out works for you. Some people find it reduces visual stress when they're trying to read. Personally I fiind black on white makes me feel very nauseaus and dizzy but if I change it to blue this helps. I read using larger fonts where possible but if not, the colour still really makes a difference.
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby Creative » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:00 pm

I find reading blocks of text on the computer very difficult to read. If I have to do this I have to print it out.
Creative
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat