Update in my assessment.

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Update in my assessment.

Postby babooshka2002 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:20 pm

Been to see the occupational therapist today to talk about executive functions. She went through a lot of questions, asked me all sorts of stuff - talked about how I was as a child, a teenager, now.

She wrote a lot of stuff down and said that she is absolutely positive now that I have problems with executive function, which she called "Dysexecutive Syndrome". She says I have problems in all the areas of executive functions, so this is fairly unambiguous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysexecuti ... e_syndrome

She believes I need more support than what the occupational therapy team are able to provide, so she is referring me to - well, she said it was like a community mental health team, so I guess similar to that but not quite the same. They have support workery type people.

She really understands my frustration, which is very nice. :-) She's really sympathetic to being in the position of having intelligence and intellectually being able to think about things (I should do this thing because it's important, I should not do this thing because it's not nice) and yet not be able to take those logical thoughts through to action or inhibition. But only sometimes. Sometimes I can do those things, which just increases the frustration - why can I do it on Monday but not on Tuesday? I told her I felt really crap about it, lazy and useless and rubbish and STUPID that everyone else could do these things fine and I just.... couldn't. She said I shouldn't feel this way and it wasn't my fault. I almost burst into tears of combined stress, frustration and happiness, but I managed to keep hold of myself.

She says there are things that can be attempted to try to help me to learn to function better. She says it's not possible to know how I will respond to them until they are tried, but there are things to try.

I asked her about medication. She said she didn't know whether medication would help me - it might do nothing at all. She's going to take her report on my executive functions back to Dr Duffey to see if he can draw any further conclusions. I envision Duffey as a spider in the middle of a web, drawing all the strings towards him and seeing if any of them meet in an interesting way. She's going to speak with Duffey about medication. I fully expect him to say that he doesn't want me to have medication - or possibly follow up on the psychiatrist referral that he recommended, in order to see what a psychiatrist would say.

I'm still boggled that this is actually happening.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Re: Update in my assessment.

Postby Steph » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:25 pm

I'm glad you now seem to have a firm diagnosis :)
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 pm

I hope that some way of helping you can be found.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:40 pm

I;m glad that you are getting some help and support.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby JamesStanley » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Im glad that you are now getting the right help
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm glad things are finally getting sorted and that you are getting proper help now.
Remus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat