Dyspraxia Awareness Day 2004

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby Matt » Fri May 21, 2004 1:57 pm

Hey everyone!

Dyspraxia Awareness Day will soon be here and I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas of how to spread awareness? I'm making a poster, which I'll put up here when it's done so you guys can put it up around your school, local shop, etc. I've also got in touch with my local BBC Radio Station to see if they could do a piece on Dyspraxia Awareness Day. If you've got any ideas, talk about it here! :D
Matt
Site Admin

Location: Milton Keynes, England, Europe, Earth. You may have heard of it....

Postby k9ruby » Fri May 21, 2004 3:09 pm

Can I help with making the posters?
PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Cheryl » Fri May 21, 2004 8:53 pm

Hi Matt

:)

What about contacting Horizon radio as well? They may be interested in helping spread the word around Milton Keynes.

There are also the ITV news people - Anglia news and Central News - they both cover Milton Keynes!

If there is anything we can do PLEASE ASK!!

love Cheryl and Jonny
xox
Cheryl

Postby Philip » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:38 am

I know 2004 has gone

Please forgive me even though I have dyspraxia. I was not even aware there was a dyspraxia awarness day until I have found this website.

Even my parents was not aware of a day like this.

Philip
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby Helen » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:51 am

Well not to worry. There is always Dyspraxia Awareness Day 2005! ;)

We must all work to find ways of raising awareness for this year. It is usually 7th July but I have not heard any news yet...........so watch this space!
This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby k9ruby » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:28 pm

Hopefully our mk/northants should be up by then!!! Il think of something- promise!! :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby k9ruby » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:19 pm

Ive got an idea!

A sponsed day in the life of a Dyspraxic.

Non dyspraxics will need to do the following:

-put gogles on, (co-ordination. spacial awareness)
- put on thickgloves and shoes, way too big on. (hand eye co-ordination)
- put a walkman or something in your ears (distracted very easily)
-use the hand your not used to all day. ( the fact we have to work 10x harder)

I couldn't find any thing for skin irration with certain textures though! what does everyone think?
:lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:27 pm

This is a brilliant idea, Ruby. Have you looked at this website?

<a href='http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/misunderstoodminds/' target='_blank'>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/misunderstoodminds/</a>

Click on the different tabs - reading, writing, attention, etc. - and they will take you to a list of different articles related to each topic. Many of these articles contain Try it yourself activities, so people without learning difficulties can experience what it feels like to have to fight to write or concentrate. I found this activity especially moving:

<a href='http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/misunderstoodminds/attentionbasics.html' target='_blank'>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/misunderstoodminds...tionbasics.html</a>

And the use of the adjective 'moving' isn't just a bad pun. Visual distractions create such difficulties for me in certain lessons, although my attention difficulties have a flip side - sometimes I concentrate too much and don't hear things like fire alarms.
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:59 pm

Cant find a dyspraxia one.... <_<
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:30 pm

Most dyspraxic people find it very difficult to write legibly. If you click on 'writing', there is an activity called Try it yourself - experience a graphomotor difficulty. All motor difficulties are associated with dyspraxia. Likewise, many dyspraxics have attention problems, so the attention section is also relevant. Some also have problems with thought organisation, so the essay-writing activity is a good one to try.

Bear in mind that this is an American site. The term 'dyspraxia' has only just started to come into use in the USA. They prefer to say 'non-verbal learning disorder' instead - which is strange, because my psychologist insists that NVLD is not quite the same thing. So it's unlikely that they will have a section labelled 'dyspraxia'.
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:35 pm

:blink:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:43 pm

Sorry, Ruby, faces aren't my thing! I can only use the really obvious basic emoticons - I don't understand the more peculiar ones. What do squished-up blinking eyes mean?

Aaah - I feel so silly!
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:40 pm

dont worry, i did as well. it means im confused and my brain hurts! :rolleyes: :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:35 pm

I have had an idea. We should form an all-dyspraxic hockey team and ask a semi-professional local sports club to play against us! The opponents could wear big cardboard boxes over their torsos, to make it fair. People would pay good money to see that. :D (In fact, they would probably donate a princely sum to the Dyspraxia Foundation or somewhere similar just to ensure safe passage out of the country!)
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:56 pm

and have huge gloves and googles on and have there shoelaces tied together! :D :D :D :D :P
k9ruby
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat