Explaining Dyspraxia To Friends ?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Explaining Dyspraxia To Friends ?

Postby xFCJ1995 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi,
I have recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia, and I am unsure of how to tell my friends. They are obviously very aware of my co-ordination issues etc.
I'm not sure how to tell them and to explain it to them without alienating myself or making it seem like a cop out.

Any ideas?

xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Re: Explaining Dyspraxia To Friends ?

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:07 pm

Maybe you could print out some of the factsheets from the dyspraxia foundation website.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Super Nekou » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:03 pm

This probably isnt helpful, but I dont recall ever explaining it outright to friends. When I first got a laptop in school I dont remember explaining why..and in College when it came out I just joked saying I was a retard. Not the best thing to say, but I was messing about.
It was easier to explain to my boyfriend, and I told him all of my problems and how they effect me. Gave him the Wiki link too.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby xFCJ1995 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Okay, that sounds like a good idea, thank you thirteen-thirty-seven :)

I hope it goes well!

:)
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby Steph » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:31 pm

I showed my boyfriend some of the posts on here about symptoms in the "What is Dyspraxia"? section. He still confuses which symptoms are due to dyspraxia and which are due to AS. When I didn't greet his friends on a bus because I was unsure of what to do (it sounds stupid but I had got it into my head that we were only going to see them in their flat so seeing them somewhere else completely confused and disorientated me), which is an autistic thing to my mind, he thought it was a dyspraxic trait but that doesn't really bother me too much as it's all part of who I am.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby JamesStanley » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:03 pm

When i told my friends about Dyspraxia i told the whole school by doing an assembly on what dyspraxia is with support of our SENCO but that may not always be the best idea so i would advise going with thirteen thirty seven's idea with the factsheets from the Dyspraxia Foundation
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby LadyAnna » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:06 pm

In primary school, when i was first diagnosed i never told anyone and hated talking about it.Although, now i just say that i can't do maths because of this stupid thing called dyspraxia !!!! ..... When on one of the rare incidents that i talk about it.On the other hand i have a very understanding friend.
LadyAnna

Postby Lawzy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:05 pm

I have said to people before I have dyspraxia and they tend to just brush it off. Sometimes they ask what it is I say it's a co-ordination problem and they just say 'oh' and that's it. I don't think anyone understands really to be honest even if you do explain.
Lawzy
Power Poster

Postby abi » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:38 pm

i use this for explaining to group leaders/teachers, and for putting with health forms.
http://hubpages.com/hub/information-she ... sabilities

for explaining to friends, this can be useful too, but i prefer to basicially say that it makes me clumsy and odd, but i depends on the friend your explaining it too. also, once 1 person knows about it, i will sometimes ask them to help me explain it to others.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby missteacup » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 pm

I have never told my friends I have dyspraxia. Well, I told my best friend, but that was more about conversation than explaining something important to her.

I've never told my friends because they've known me long enough to have seen all my symptoms: a couple of friends saw how clumsy I was when I went dancing, and others spent classes with me where they saw how map reading and trigonometry wasn't my strong point; all of them have been on days out with me when I've almost left my purse on a bus or got the times and places confused.

They all know what I'm like. A name just makes it official. If it comes up I talk about it, tell them that that's why I'm a particular way, but I don't need to tell them because they've seen it already. No-one's very surprised.

Maybe it's a bit like that with you. Do you think it would change anything if it had a name?
missteacup

Postby Lawzy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:01 pm

missteacup wrote:They all know what I'm like. A name just makes it official. If it comes up I talk about it, tell them that that's why I'm a particular way, but I don't need to tell them because they've seen it already. No-one's very surprised.

Maybe it's a bit like that with you. Do you think it would change anything if it had a name?

That's true, my mates know I'm clumsy and I'm a bit slow sometimes (not getting jokes :P) but me saying I have dyspraxia doesn't mean alot to them it's just a word. I'm me and I'm clumsy and they just see me as that, not in a bad way they just know that's what I can be like.
Lawzy
Power Poster

Postby James Brimer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:06 am

I just told my friend I have Dyspraxia. He has ADHD and Dyslexia and is being asessed for AS. Its qiute easy if you friend has "Something". All my friends either have AS, Dyslexia, ADHD, Autism or Dyspraxia so for me it is always pretty easy.

Don't compromise who you are to hide who you really are. Be you. And do not be afriad to tell people. I have found if you tell the write person they really can help.

James
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby Creative » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:48 pm

I would be ok tellig people if they had 'something' . My friend who I've know since I was 7 knows about my dyspraxia, but my friend from school doesn't know.
The friends I volunteer with know and that's ok explianing to one of them about my difficulties as her son also has dyspraxia.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby TK2oo8 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 pm

I managed to tell ONE of my friends last night, he has to be the closest I have. It was unbelievably hard for me to do, but he said that a lot of things about me make a lot more sense now, and has agreed to keep quiet about it until I feel ready to tell others. He also agreed to help me with anything he could.

Long story short, if they're really your friends, they'll hear you out, and accept you no matter what. :)

I know, I'm not very helpful. :oops:
TK2oo8
Advanced Member

Postby abi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:34 am

I managed to tell ONE of my friends last night, he has to be the closest I have. It was unbelievably hard for me to do, but he said that a lot of things about me make a lot more sense now, and has agreed to keep quiet about it until I feel ready to tell others. He also agreed to help me with anything he could.

Long story short, if they're really your friends, they'll hear you out, and accept you no matter what.

I know, I'm not very helpful.

well done

as for not being helpful, i don think you are correct there, hearing the success stories of others can be extremly helpful.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat