Am I dyspraxic?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Am I dyspraxic?

Postby caterpillar » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Hello,
I have wondered for a while if I am dyspraxic or not. I don't think my school would notice if I was, and I think most people just think I'm a bit weird.
I am fairly clumsy and have dreadful spacial awareness. My handwriting, I have been told, is worse than that of a young primary school child. I often realise that people are trying to say something subtly to me, but I can't work out what it is. I lose things all the time, I have trouble trying to get to sleep quite often, my time management is fairly appalling, I am very awkward to be around I think and I am overly sensitive to things like hugs, bright lights and loud noises. My sense of balance isn't wonderful, and I can never remember left and right. I swap hands sometimes without realising, though I am left handed. I am also very jumpy and have some quite extreme phobias which people find hard to understand.
Can someone please help! I don't know what I should do to query it.
caterpillar

Re: Am I dyspraxic?

Postby Steph » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi, Caterpillar-welcome to the forum :D From what you say in your post, it does sound like you have a lot of dyspraxic symptoms. I would speak to your SENCO if you are still at school or see your GP if not, especially as a lot of the symptoms you describe relate to other conditions which are similar to dyspraxia. Good luck and try not to panic too much-you're still the same person you've always been, no matter what diagnosis you may or may not get at the end of the process.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby caterpillar » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks. Is it often missed by schools?
caterpillar

Postby evilmuffet » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:47 am

Yeah it probably does get missed a lot by schools, people with dysprxia will just get called lazy ect.
Suppose with anything like autism, aspergers, dyslexia and dyspraxia it's people who are close to you should be the ones to pick it up.
I think that way because it'd lead to a lot of denial if the teacher were to say it. Like "there's nothing wrong my child."
So it's possible if it shows that the teachers are too afraid to say anything and are not even sure what it is they're seeing anyway.
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:05 pm

It sounds likely you are dyspraxic. Talk to your schools senco about it.

I suggest you print of the list of dyspraxic symptoms on the dyspraxia foundation website, and highlight the ones that apply to you.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat