How to explain this to my twin????

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

How to explain this to my twin????

Postby James Brimer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:25 am

My twin always refuses to believe I have anything different form him apart from the odd physical clumsiness. :evil: . This gets me really annoyed. (see right). Yesterday while on the way back from a meeting he got on to the subject of imagination. To put the point bluntly. I don't have it. Fact. However whenever I try to talk to my brother he gets difensive and says I do not have AB and C (I love that example) and that a past ocurance proves that. At these moment I could happily shoot him :D . Any Idea as to why he does this???? On the subject of imagination. is haveing a lack of it a Dyspraxic thing??

By haveing no imagination I do not mean literately. I do not have an imagination as in the imagination designed to create stories. I can imagine the world around me, but not imagine as in to create a story, that is why I like books, because I do not, and to some degree canot imagne things wich are not of this world. I hope this is a more exact explenation.

James
Last edited by James Brimer on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Re: How to explain this to my twin????

Postby Spoon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:56 am

I think you'll surprise yourself about having an imagination. Everyone has it. Do you ever salivate over food or want to play a game? These all require imagination to know that you want that thing. There's a big difference between saying that you struggle with something/are not as good at it as others and saying that you can't do it full stop.

I think your twin probably thinks that you are putting yourself down and thinks it's his duty to correct that. Maybe he doesn't take you seriously but if you say very concrete things about what you can and can't do he's likely to dispute them because he's your brother and cares about your self esteem.
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby Spoon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:57 am

double post
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:06 pm

I think imagination is a highly individual thing and it doesn't always mean being able to create a story or your own world, as I used to think it did. As a child, I had a whole family of characters I had made up in my mind and I used to spend hours every day playing with them and making up elaborate storylines for each character. I also always make up alternative conversations I wish I had had with people rather than the ones I actually did have. However, when it comes to social imagination, I fail. I can't think why people are acting in the way they are and don't look into peoples motives and intentions for doing something, something my boyfriend finds very frustrating, as does my mother. I used to think that having such a lively imagination meant I wasn't autistic as a lack of imagination was cited as one of the main triad of impairments but, in time, I came to realise that the social imagination aspect of it is where autism comes in. I agree with Spoon-I think, to a certain extent, everybody has an imagination-it just manifests itself in different ways.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:34 pm

I think Spoon is maybe right, or maybe he doesn't want to feel like he's different from you.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat