Dysgraphia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Dysgraphia

Postby justme6565 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:37 pm

I was first diagnosed with DCD 9-10 years ago, as a primary school student, and since I underwent OT and PT right away, I was fortunate enough for it to have been pretty mild for most of my life. My coordination is still terrible, but not to any degree where I can't be independent for the most part. The only thing that has been a very large and persistant problem for me has been my handwriting and the fact that when I attempt to handwrite, I have to go extremely slowly for my charecters to look anything like English. Plus my hand cramps up pretty painfully.

Over the summer, I went to get rediagnosed so that I could use a laptop for the writing portion of the SATs (Sort of like the American version of the GCSEs), and found that I had Developmental Dysgraphia in addition to DCD. I'm thinking that this isn't anything that I didn't already know as far as issues that come with the diagnosis. Does anyone also have Dysgraphia and have a few tips? Thanks.
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Re: Dysgraphia

Postby parnassus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:57 pm

I'm surprised that you were diagnosed with dysgraphia in addition to DCD, as dysgraphia is defined as a very specific fine motor control problem that primarily affects handwriting. Most people with dysgraphia do have other difficulties with fine motor co-ordination, which show up in tasks such as buttering toast or buttoning a shirt, but have good gross motor control. Language problems are also a fundamental part of dysgraphia, chiefly difficulties with word-finding (e.g. struggling to remember the names of everyday objects). It isn't normally diagnosed where dyspraxia is present, as it is taken for granted that dyspraxic individuals will have problems with handwriting - the co-ordination problems caused by dyspraxia are global.

I write slowly and get hand cramps, but I don't have any problems with legibility - I have to proceed slowly to prevent myself from skipping out words or phrases, as I often lose track of where I am in relation to my thoughts. I cope with this by using a computer wherever possible. I always have a laptop for my exams. When I do have to write, thick pens that give me something to grip on to are best - I find ballpoint pens and pencils very difficult to hold, as they are so narrow and my pen grip is like a fist.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:25 pm

I am the opposite to Vicky-my writing speed is just in the average range but my handwriting is almost completely illegible, something picked up on on a unit inspection in my previous unit at work where the inspector, who is an assistant unit manager on another unit, wrote, "Some of the comments on student daysheets are illegible". Unfortunately we are not allowed to type these specific documents. Most other paperwork I always type as people tend to think that, because my handwriting is illegible, that somehow means I have nothing of worth to express whereas, with typing, they can understand where I'm actually coming from. I do write with the same pen grip as Vicky though.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:35 pm

If I try to write fast then my writing gets worse. Also if I'm streesed or tired then my writing can get messy. At school it was as though if I couldn't say if I was unhappy but my handwriting woyuld always reflect any problems I might be having.
Hope that makes some sort of sense!
Creative
Forum God !

Postby wm1995 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:21 pm

I am almost identical to Vicky, except I prefer writing with a pencil because I find it moves more easily on the paper. I always used to get terrible hand cramps when writing, and used to be the last out of the changing room, because of buttons and ties. My writing is just about legible most of the time, but it is also slow. Therefore in exams when I am rushing my writing seems to look either like a drawing of a mountain range or starts to tend toward a flat line, depending on how quickly I am moving my hand laterally. My main way of coping is by using a laptop, and I spent ages just unbuttoning and re-buttoning my shirt.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby missteacup » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:57 pm

One of the things that got picked up about me possibly having something was how hard I pressed when I wrote with a ball-point. I'm a writer at heart, so I'd much rather handwrite, but obviously, writing with a ballpoint makes things a bit difficult, even painful sometimes. When I've found it again, I'll start writing with my flountain pen, which glides across the paper rather than imprinting into it, and had rubber grips on. Pencils have similar advantages. Maybe try those?

parnassus wrote:I have to proceed slowly to prevent myself from skipping out words or phrases, as I often lose track of where I am in relation to my thoughts.

Interestingly, I have found that writing things down makes me slow down my thinking. I often feel that's why I write so much.
missteacup

Postby xFCJ1995 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:47 pm

i find that to make my handwriting at all legible and to be able to process what i'm writing I have to write extremely slowly, and combined with my perfectionism my handwriting speed is laboriously slow, but my occupational therapist said this was just part of my dyspraxia
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby monkey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:38 am

I have messy hand writing. But I can draw good. I do not know if it is dyspraxia. I think maby my hand writign is messy is becuase I can not see what I am writing. But I can see what I am drawing.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby monkey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:39 am

It does take me a very long time to draw. I failed art at school becuase I could not draw good at a time limit. becuase when I had to draw fast my pictures are very bad.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby JamesStanley » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:26 am

My hand writing is quite messy but my drawing skills are the worst i failed Art at school although i hated it anyway i would like to be able to draw but i always make a mess of it.
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat