Should I tell my seminar leader about my dyspraxia?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Should I tell my seminar leader about my dyspraxia?

Postby CakeorDeath » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 pm

I've just started an English degree and I am worried about seminars. The first two I've had seemed okay but I think that there might be problems in the future. I sometimes find it difficult to get social cues about when it is okay to talk, and the tutors told us we don't have to put up our hands, I find that a very useful way of seeing when to talk or not. Sometimes I come across as rude, especially when I'm passionate about something. I want to tell the tutors about my dyspraxia before any problems arise, because I don't want to seem like I'm giving excuses.

But how do I bring it up? Should I email? Should I talk to them in person? Do they already know (the uni knows)? How do I say it without coming across as wierd? Will it seem irrelavent?

Thanks for any help in advance.
CakeorDeath

Re: Should I tell my seminar leader about my dyspraxia?

Postby parnassus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:25 pm

It isn't irrelevant if it's going to cause you difficulty. I did the same degree as you and struggled to cope with larger seminars because of the crowds and the problems I had with finding my way round the town. I talked to my Director of Studies about it, and she talked to the seminar leaders on my behalf. They helped me by letting me know where things would be located well in advance, by e-mail, and exempting me from attendance if I felt too anxious to cope with the crowd. They were also fine with me sitting on the floor in the corner if that helped. If they don't know, they can't help you, and it much easier for everybody concerned to arrange help at the beginning than to wait until a problem arises.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby CakeorDeath » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks Parnassus. You're right, it's just I worry they won't take me seriously. I will tell them both before my seminars.

:)
CakeorDeath

Postby bpcooper » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Have you applied for DSA?
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby CakeorDeath » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Yep, it should be coming in soonish.
CakeorDeath

Postby k9ruby » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Email your tutors and get your head of disability office to talk to them! Thats what I did :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby C » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Hiya,

I'm actually in a similiar (not exactly the same) situation at the moment, I have literally just posted about not knowing whether or not to lety people at Uni know. I've just started a masters degree and, although had disclosed my dyspraxia, was not sure if the department knew. It turned out that the secretaries knew but most of my tutors didn't.

I would definitely reccommend emailing, way in advance, regarding extra arrangements in exams, if these are needed. I have an exam next month and the lecture knew nothing about my needs until I emailed him. I know what you mean, though, about everything else - I'm not sure whether to email regarding coursework markers etc.

Hope everythings going okay for you - you living in?
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat