Dislike physical contact

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Dislike physical contact

Postby evilmuffet » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:18 pm

I wonder if anyone else has this problem but I can't stand being touched. It bothers me and I always feel uncomfortable with it unless I'm ill. Had an argument with my mum because my sisters stuff was all over the place and I can't find things in my room.
After the argument mum tries giving me hugs and I freeze up, she says to give her a hug back and when I do she says I hug her like a robot.xD
Is the hugging problem a part of dyspraxia? Also don't like kisses, pats and people giving me eye contact (I hate eye contact, it makes me nervous.)
So does anyone else dislike physical contact here? Who knows, I might just be weird...
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Re: Dislike physical contact

Postby Steph » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Dislike of touch is more an autistic trait but it can be part of dyspraxia too. Have you ever been assessed for Autistic Spectrum Disorder as an aversion to eye contact is also a symptom of that. I'm quite weird with physical contact. I can tolerate hugs but I don't enjoy them unless they are given by certain people-even my relatives hugs I simply tolerate rather than actually enjoy or feel comfortable with. Despite this, I have been with my boyfriend for 17 months and we are very happy together but, even with him, I would be perfectly happy to have an entire relationship without physical touch but we have had to make compromises as I know that, for people without these conditions, they find the idea of being uncomfortable with touch odd.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Super Nekou » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 pm

I have a big problem with this, I hate touch from people, however if it's a certain person just touching my clothes I can cope. I can cope with all sorts of physical contact from my boyfriend with no problems. And as for eye contact, again the only thing I can cope with is it from my boyfriend. No others I can do.
I'm a diagnosed Dyspraxic and havent been tested for Autism, though it seems ever more likely I have that too.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby JamesStanley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:51 pm

I don't like being kissed and i don't like making eye contact with people i also dont like people touching my hair or poking me it makes me feel uncomfortable. I tried to see a doctor about getting tested for autism and they said the psycolgist (I think its psycologist its psyc something) would be in touch in 3 - 4 weeks and its been about 4 months so i will have to go back sometime to ask about it.
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:30 pm

People I like hugs from:
My Mum
My Dad
My Paternal Grandmother
My Boyfriend

People I am OK hugging me (providing they do it right):
My Maternal Grandma
My 3 closest friends

These lists have expanded hugely over the past year or so. I will tolerate hugs from other friends and reletives and even strangers, but I hate them. People seem to take it really personaly though.

Even my Grandma, who insists that my dyspraxia is very mild (despite being told that it is severe) and that neither me nor my Dad could possibly have any autistic traits, seems to have picked up on the fact that a) a won't always tollerate hug (even though she's on the like list) and b) there is a special hug substitute action. Generaly, if upset or in a hermity mood I will hold someones hand for a prolonged hug, and put my palm to their palm and breifly interlock fingers for a short hug. There is less contact that way.

One of the key clues my bf liked me was his speedy memorisation of my list of conditions for if friends ansoloutly must hug me, and his conveniently timed decision to wear his jacket around in the middle of summer (condition number1: no t-shirts, skin is gross)
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:46 pm

I like physical contact for most of the time because I'm really a huggy person, but there have been days where I've pulled away. I'm not sure why, I guess my moods come into it?
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:38 pm

I don't like touching bare skin. I don't mind hugs as long as people are wearing long sleeves.
Creative
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat