Meeting Mum's boyfriend

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Meeting Mum's boyfriend

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:44 pm

My mum has been going out with this guy for a couple of months and he's been invited over to meet me and my sister. Maybe next week, depending on what the weather is like. He sounds really nice and my mum really wants me to make a good first impression. I do as well, he seems a lot better than her past boyfriends! I'm kinda nervous, considering I'm shy around people I don't know. I asked my mum if I could email him to get to know him and he's OK with it. He understands that I have social problems, though he doesn't know much about dyspraxia. (His ex-wife apparently has a nephew with Asperger's who has similar problems.) He's yet to reply but he told my mum that he would reply as soon as possible. Well, anyway, does anyone have advice on how I should act around him? What should I say to him? I have been told (repeatedly) not to swear, which wouldn't be too hard since I don't swear as much as I used to.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Meeting Mum's boyfriend

Postby Cynamon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm going to write this as if it's me meeting him just because I find it easier to explain that way.

I'd make sure I was polite and not swear too much, make sure I was clean and dressed decently (I'd make sure someone helped me get my clothes neat, and wear an apron if I was eating before he came over) but to be honest, I wouldn't really do much else.

If he's going to be with her for a long time, with the possibility of marriage or living together then there's no point in meeting him and trying to be something I'm not. He would have to live with me as I am now every day, and the problems wouldn't be hidden.

He'd see me shuffling across the room grabbing onto furniture, he'd see me throw my dinner down myself and miss my mouth when I take a drink, he'd see me frustrated when I can't do something that I *know* should be simple but my mind and body just can't figure out a way to work together.

So yes, I'd make an effort to be nice, polite and friendly when I meet him, but I wouldn't hide any of my problems. That's just me. I hope that helps.
Cynamon

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Thank you very much for the message. It was most helpful. As it turns out, he's apparently a bit of a messy eater as well!
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:06 am

Don't feel under too much pressure to make a perfect impression. He himself will probably be too nervous to notice too much that's odd.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:13 pm

I met him today. I did hide in my room for a few minutes before I told myself to man up :lol: But it wasn't actually that bad. He brought presents for me and my sister, where were very appealing to our tastes, and we and watched a little bit of Frasier. (We're both big fans!) I ended up wanting him to stay longer! :P And we were talking about seeing a movie for our second meeting as well. So it went great.

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cynamon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm glad it went well!
Cynamon

Postby Creative » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm pleased it went well!
Creative