Just found out I have dyspraxia -help?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Just found out I have dyspraxia -help?

Postby laurennellenn » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:51 pm

when i found out i have dyspraxia it was sucha relief -everything seemes to fit together, but my friends and teachers dont understand it, they dont understand why i can do something one day and not the next, and why i cant organise myself, and they call me lazy because of my handwriting and the fact i cant phisically write a lot. My friends dont understand why i dont like physical contact, or anyone toching my stuff, and when i try and expalin it too them they think i am making up excuses.i also have another friend who is always competing with me, she claimed too have dyspraxia when i found out i did, even though she has none of the symtoms! which really annoyed me because its soo painful to have it because no one can really relate to it, no one seems too understand why i am so clumsy and why i find it hard too do sports, how do i explain this too them?
laurennellenn

Re: Just found out I have dyspraxia -help?

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:19 am

*hugs* Have you tried explaining it before? If so, what did you say?

I am glad your diagnosis was helpful.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Goldenhamster » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:02 am

Hey laurennellenn,

I'm glad that the diagnosis has been such a relief for you. I know how frustrating the clumsiness and other difficulties can be, and I know how upsetting it is when people, particularly the people that we feel should help and support us such as teachers and friends fail to understand. But the good news is that knowing the diagnosis, and having it 'fit together' will start to help.

If you haven't already read it, I would highly recommend 'Caged in Chaos' by Victoria Biggs, which comprehensively covers all of the challenges that dyspraxia can present and how to face them. I first read it when I was 13, and not only did it help me make sense of what my diagnosis meant, it helped me to realise that it didn't have to be a negative thing. My Mum even donated a copy to the school I was at where it recieved very positive feedback.

It's very difficult when almost as soon as you have the diagnosis and are still trying to get to grips with it, you suddenly have to deal with everyone else's response to it and decide who to tell, when to tell and how to tell. Is there are special needs coordinator at your school with whom you could discuss it? If so, they could explain to your teachers that you are not lazy, you have a genuine difficulty with certain things and work towards strategies to make life a little easier. With your friends it'll unfortunately take a little time and a lot of patience, but if they are your friends they will eventually understand and appreciate dyspraxia as one of the many things that makes you, you. In the mean time, try not to let the things you find difficult get you down, focus on the things you are good at, and most of all the things that you enjoy doing.

Hope this all helped a little :)
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby roseimagines19 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

To be honest, not everyone understands dyspraxia, just stand firm by it because you know you have dyspraxia and you know how hard it is. The best friends are the most understanding ones. When i was diagnosed my mum got a book from the library called "My friend has dyspraxia" and gave it to my next door neighbour and best friend, and she understands it now, and she is very helpful to me.

Just be glad, because if you didn't have dyspraxia you we be a different person!

Hope this helps! :D
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.
Rabindranath Tagore
roseimagines19
Forum Master

Postby Dizzy D » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:28 pm

if all else fails try showing them this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNbPf2Z_lTY

A bit depressing but it hits home
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby likeasheep » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:41 am

I know this might not be any help... but take your parents to see your teachers and have everything explained to them - if you've had a full assessment done, take a copy to show your teachers. As for your friends... if they mock you or call you names or stupid or lazy... ignore them - they're not nice people if they can't understand. :( I'm so sorry you're going through this, but I know what you mean about the diagnosis being a relief.
likeasheep

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat