Hi, I'm a newbie and I think this site is a great idea!

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Hi, I'm a newbie and I think this site is a great idea!

Postby Hannah » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:05 am

Hello, I'm hannah and am just 17. I discovered I had dyspraxia when I was 11 and was sent to a psychiatrist, doctor and physiotherspist to figure out what was wrong with me. I always felt I was different, left out, and because of my poor balance, immaturity and social sensitivity.
I missed out on alot in my childhood. I remember how I was so jelous as my younger brother went out to parties and bike rides with his millions of friends while I sat and watched TV.

I was bullied at school of course and my self confidence plummetted further in my teens. I felt that I couldn't do anything, I wouldn't join clubs for fear of being regected and left out, and devoted myself to art for a long time, something I had grown to love as it can be done alone.
But now I am in 6th form, things are better. I don't regard Dyspraxia as a limitation to what I can do, but a challange. I deliberately took on what I couldn't do, like riding a bike and ice skating, and now I can! I have friends! I have self confidence! And I feel better now than I have done for a long time. I think your web site is brilliant, I'm glad to be a part of this. Please get in touch with me, I want to make more freinds!
If you have dyspraxia, don't let it stop you, its not a disability, its a challenge.
Hannah

Postby Charlotte » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:08 pm

Hi Hannah,

I'm Charlotte and I'll be seventeen next month. I was only about seven when I discovered I had mild dyspraxia but I and my parents knew there was something wrong before then. I was very lucky to get diagnosed relatively early but still didn't always get the support I needed :(

I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. People used to ignore me at school and I felt isolated and like I didn't fit in but thankfully I was never bullied. I am at college now and also am happier than I have been for ages, if not my whole life. Dyspraxia still gets me down sometimes but I have learnt to cope with it. If I didn't have dyspraxia I wouldn't be who I am today and so in many ways I am thankful for it.

Charlotte x
Charlotte

Hannah!!

Postby Vicky » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:03 pm

At least, I think you are the same Hannah that I know. Is your surname Cornish?

If you are that Hannah, this is Vicky. You sent me some really useful information for the book I wrote. Only then I stupidly lost your e-mail address and I had no way of contacting you. I'm still at fire_of_opal@yahoo.co.uk

Can you send me an e-mail so that I can make a note of your address again?

Thank you!
Vicky
Vicky

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat