Do you get extra time for your exams?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Do you get extra time in exams?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 22

Postby mattie » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:05 pm

I get extra time and rest breaks every 15 minutes. I still struggle to finish even then!!
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:27 pm

I am entitled to rest breaks, but I rarely take them - I find they disrupt my train of thought and make me panic.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:35 am

I get extra time on them. It helps a lot. I can take breaks and I like to bring food in sometimes. :D I love food. 8)

Shanna :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:38 am

I wish we were allowed to bring food in. For some reason the exam boards don't like it.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:55 am

It might distract other candidates - I can hear chewing and paper rustling from the other side of the room - and there is always a danger of you staining your answer booklets.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:56 pm

I take my tests in a private room so it does not distract anyone when I have crackers or something. 8)

Shanna :lol:
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby medrich11 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:15 pm

I am like you parnassus
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby Lilith » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:43 am

I probably shouldn't be posting here (being as I'm in my early twenties!) but having bought Caged in Chaos (v good book btw!) I thought I'd give it a peek.

Anyway, onto the subject in hand,I'm at University and I continue to get extra time for my exams here.Though the powers that be have decided that I'm no longer entitled to the use of a computer (I hasten to add that this is without any additional assessment of my needs. Grr!! ) As I doubt very much that I'd have got to University without having extra time,let alone passed the exams that I've done whilst here even just the extra time remains an absolute godsend.

I recommend that those of you who are planning to go to Uni firstly apply for the DSA. It can provide you with all sorts of useful things (like the computer that I'm writing this on for instance! The free photo copying is also great. Particularly as I'm beginning to think about my dissertation.) and some not so useful things. I was given a minidisc player to help me overcome my slow writing speed when taking lecture notes. However the prospect of walking down to the front of the lecture theatre at the beginning of each lecture,in full view of everyone else to put it on the table really didn't appeal.

Secondly,seek out your 'Learning Differences Centre' (or whatever suitably politically correct term your uni uses). Though I don't use them as much as did their equivalent at college it's comforting to know that they are there and they are quite useful in a number of ways. For example I've got a meeting with someone next week to try and organise all my notes (most of which seems to be scattered about my bedroom or crumpled up into small balls in the bottom of my bag).
Finally, look into whether you have services like extended loans for books and a special computer room with packages for dyspraxic students. For example Inspiration. I don't find it useful but I know that some people do.
Lilith

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:39 pm

I doubt very much that I'd have got to University without having extra time,let alone passed the exams that I've done whilst here even just the extra time remains an absolute godsend.

I agree, Lilith. I would not be in college right now had I not gotten extra time in high school on tests
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby lucinda » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:49 pm

I didn't take extra time in my GCSE mocks and I took it in my real GCSEs. I didn't really find it a great help to be honest. 3 hours of English Literature was too much, so I dropped 2 grades between the mock and the real GCSE :(

I was recently reassessed, with my parents paying, and I heard a few days ago that the exam board has agreed that I can use a computer for my exams and also have extra time. It worries me though, because I have 5 exams of average 1 hour each, all happening at the same time on the same afternoon, and it's going to be a nightmare, what with extra time, and the fact that I appear to be using a computer for 2 of them and writing the other 3 by hand. I don't know what going to happen about my exams, and it worries me. The government has really messed up AS levels :x
lucinda

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:55 am

I don't think the government can be held responsible for individual schools' exam arrangements and AQA's timetabling nightmare - it looks as if you may have to be supervised overnight at a teacher's house, if your exams all clash. I have three exams clashing on one day, so it looks like I will be Matron's prisoner for the evening! :shock:

Use the computer for as many tests as you possibly can, and don't take the extra time if you're sure it hinders you.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby lucinda » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:15 pm

A guy in my latin class has latin and theatre studies at the same time, so he has been allowed to take latin in the morning and then be supervised over lunch. There's another guy in my latin class who, like me, has latin and economics at the same time, so we're both hoping to get latin moved. Physics is on the morning of the same day, and it's a friday. I'm sure there's some poor person out there who is doing physics, latin, economics and theatre studies................ heh.
lucinda

Postby Tom » Tue May 31, 2005 4:06 pm

Hi, I am getting exams soon and I wondered if i would get extra time off in exams. I'm in my first year of secondary school and i'm coming to my end of year exams.
Thanks
Tom
"Love leads to greed, greed leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to sufferering, suffrering leads to the dark side"
Tom
Advanced Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue May 31, 2005 4:34 pm

Tom-
You should ask whoever is head of the LD department there, if there is one.

CUBS WON!!!!!!! YIPPEEE!!!! (they're my favorite team, sorry that was so random...)

SHanna
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat