The silver lining

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

The silver lining

Postby parnassus » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:08 pm

This thread is for anyone who has just achieved something that they are proud of. It doesn't matter what it is - it could be passing an exam or surviving a dinner party without slopping food all over yourself. Let us know what you have done.

Drum roll, please....

Today, for the first time in my entire life (seventeen years and four months) I succeeded in USING A TIN OPENER! I opened a tin of rice pudding!!!! This called for a celebratory dance round the kitchen. :D I can do anything. The world is mine.

Vicky
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Yay!

Postby Hannah » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:21 pm

Well done!

Well, for ages I havent been able to do anything sporty or balance associated what so ever. But I have gotten out there for the first time and tried. I had the courage to try and it was terrifying.

I have in the past few months learned how to ice skate, rollar blade (though I still fall sometimes) and am now able to skip. Next up- hula hooping. :)
If you have dyspraxia, don't let it stop you, its not a disability, its a challenge.
Hannah

Postby Charlotte » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:47 pm

Congratulation to both of you :)

Today I got the results of my end of course exam.

I have been doing a childcare course involving five assignments and one written exam that all count equally. You are awarded marks of pass, merit and distinction. I got distinctions in all five of my assignments which meant that, unless I failed the exam completely, my overall result would be distinction.

I GOT A MERIT! :)
Charlotte

Postby parnassus » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:01 pm

Well done! Judging by your posts, you'll make a brilliant childminder or nursery supervisor. You seem to have very strong powers of empathy.

Here is another achievement of mine. A few weeks ago I was deeply upset because my school refused to make me a prefect on the grounds that I was too disorganised and not sociable enough. Instead, they gave the post to a girl who regularly plays truant.

But then I applied to be the head girl of my boarding house, which is also a prefect's role - one with loads more work attached and a lot of organisation required. I got it! According to the housemaster, several shocked expressions appeared when he announced the news in the staff room. I'm now going to work hard to change the perception of SpLDs in the school. It's high time people stopped seeing them as disadvantages...which tempts me to set a precedent for myself, copy Hannah, and learn to ice skate.

Is it very difficult? The last time I went I had to hang onto the side, and I still fell over. :shock:
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hannah » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:20 pm

Wow, I admire you for becoming Head girl, well done. I haven't become a prefect but I don't mind, it doesn't mean I can't achieve things.

Ice skating for me was hard, the first time I went I clinged on to the edge as if my life depended on it, the second time I didn't and fell over 8 times. The third time I went with my cousin and brother Daniel who is 4 years younger than me. I was terrified! My knees were knocking but I was determined to try.

My brother was especially supportive in helping me, he didn't stick by me all the time but let me work it out by myself. Gave me tips such as don't try to walk on the ice, because it is slippery and you wont get any where. Also, say 1, 2, to your self with each skate, it gives a rythm and calms you down. Now I help others who struggle to skate on the ice!

After I managed it, my confidence grew, I felt that I could do anything if I tried hard enough. Congratulations to everyone for acheiving so much. :) :) :)
If you have dyspraxia, don't let it stop you, its not a disability, its a challenge.
Hannah

Postby parnassus » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:32 pm

Hello to all,

Hmmm.

Ice skating sounds very difficult. If I had been you, I would probably have insisted on being issued with a protective Mr Blobby-type suit!

I'm in Saudi Arabia at the moment, so there isn't much ice to skate on...but I'll be back in England in August, and I'll definitely give it a shot. Maybe one day we should all organise a sponsored ice-skating fest in aid of the Dyspraxia Foundation - it should provide the general public with a lot of laughs! :roll: For some reason, my arms always flap about when I move my legs very fast or try to balance, like when I climb the stairs. Does anyone else get this?
parnassus
Site Admin

Good idea

Postby k9ruby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:11 pm

:lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Chaz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:29 pm

Okay, I am very excited about this:

I am on another, harder, childcare course now. It goes on for two years and we have twenty units in total. Our first unit is observations and assessments. We have 20 in total and we have to observe children in our placement then write up the observation and analyse what we have seen(I am on a school placement at the moment on mondays and tuesdays at the moment).

We were set a sample observation to see that we knew what we were doing. We were given criteria sheets that told us what we needed to do to get each grade. They are graded A to E unless you get a refer. To get an A, B, C, D rather than an E you are told the extra things you need to write up and you can choose what grade you go for. Our teacher told us to just aim for an E seeing as this was a sample but said if any of us wanted to aim higher that was fine.

I aimed for an A. I didn't expect to get it, I just wanted to see if I could or, if, at this stage of the course I was able to get any grade above E.

We got our assignments back on friday. I was really scared but... guess what? I'd got an A :D And I was the only person in the class to get this. I was so happy. I had such a big grin on my face and I couldn't stop smiling. My teacher told me she was very pleased with me. She has given everyone else their first observation to do next week when we are spening a week in our placements but she asked me if I wanted to do two because she said I was capable of it. I said yes.

I am still really pleased with myself. It's a pity the sample observation didn't count for anything. I just hope I can keep it up!
Chaz

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:12 am

Charlotte that is brilliant........well done. :) :)
All the best with the course and all your assessments.
Keep us posted on how it goes.
Helen :D x

Postby parnassus » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:05 pm

Mabrook, Charlotte!

That means 'congratulations' in Arabic. I think it has a nice ring to it. :) You will make such a great childcare worker.
parnassus
Site Admin

Re

Postby Esioul » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:26 am

well, I passed my A levels and I'm off to uni to study archaeology next year, when I was a kid they never thought I'd be able to read, let alone learn Latin AS from scratch in a year, so I'm chuffed. Still can't add up or tell the time though, and never can learn, despite my boyfriend's best efforts to teach me :x
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:12 am

Salvete, comitia!

I loved Latin when I did it at GCSE, but opted out for A-Level. Sometimes I wish I hadn't. Good luck on your course - archaeology really captures my imagination. I'm especially interested in Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and the Arabian peninsula - have you heard the rumours of a lost civilisation that is meant to exist in the Rub al-Khali?

What university are you going to? I have applied to study English Literature (sometimes with Linguistics, sometimes with Middle Eastern Studies) at Cambridge, York, Durham, St Andrew's, Manchester, and Cardiff. I have an interview and test at Cambridge on the 8th and 9th of December. Wish me luck, everyone!
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:06 pm

Good luck with Cambridge. I messed up my Oxford interveiw, I was so freaked out I forgot how to be able to read. So just make sure you don't get too nervous. I'm going to Durham instead.

Mesopotamia is my main interest in archaeology, I'd love to make it my subject and actually go there.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:34 pm

Well I have got my first two observations back and I achieved an 'A' grade for both of those. I am pretty pleased especially after having to endure a morning of maths! I have maths every friday morning which usually puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the day but seeing those 'A' grades cheered me up. It was my last day of college today before Christmas-woohoo!!!

Postby Chaz » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:35 pm

Oh, that was me incase you hadn't guessed!!!
Chaz

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat