Any ideas about getting DLA?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Any ideas about getting DLA?

Postby roseimagines19 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:24 pm

My mum sent off a claim for DLA (disability living allowance) and they refused the claim. She's stressing about it being refused because we really need the money because we have to buy lots of stuff, not just for my dyspraxia but excema, which i need gloves for which cost a lot, and i go to pilates twice a month to improve my co-ordination skills and that costs a lot. She is writing about all the help i need and all the money we have to spend on me- any tips? do you think i'll get it?
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.
Rabindranath Tagore
roseimagines19
Forum Master

Re: Any ideas about getting DLA?

Postby Steph » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:51 pm

I only applied once and found it so stressful when I got refused that I didn't bother appealing. The DWP sent me a long list of why they had refused my claim-their main point seemed to be that most of the things I need help with aren't things that need to be done every day and therefore I don't need DLA for them (never mind the fact that I can't cook properly and can't speak on the telephone so end up walking miles late at night on my own to get home because my ASD makes me too scared to order a taxi). What I have learned since then is that it is a lot easier to fill in the form with the help of a social worker, disability charity advocate or someone from the Citizens Advice Bureau as they speak the language of bureaucracy and so will know how to get you the best chance of getting it. I hope the appeal process works for you.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Spoon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:33 pm

I agree with Steph, it's a good idea to get someone from the citizens advice bureau or a social worker to help.

To get the care section you need to prove that you need help during the day and/or night.

To get the mobility rate you need to prove that you need help when outdoors.

If you are under 16 you need to prove that the help you need is more than that someone of your age would need.

So rather than saying you need financial help with gloves, pilates you need to say that you find it difficult to do things because of your disabilities. e.g "showering is difficult because of my excema.
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi Rose,

Danni wrote a very useful blog post on claiming DLA after I was turned down, which you can read here: Danni's Rules for Claiming DLA. I wish I had got her to fill in my form with me in the first place! Steph is right - there is a coded language that you have to use when making DLA claims, and if you don't know it, then you will be turned down irrespective of how severe your disabilities are. I have an old friend from school who was turned down even though her arthritis is so bad that she can't walk, dress herself, or even get from her wheelchair to the toilet without crutches. According to the DWP's figures for 2010, over half of all claimants were turned down outright - but roughly 60% of the appeals were successful. It's pretty clear that they reject a lot of genuine claims, forcing people to go through to the appeal stage.

If I remember rightly you aren't in your teens yet. How old are you exactly? My DLA was awarded when I was over sixteen, and I know that the criteria for a child's claim are slightly different. To get more relevant advice you and your mum should contact a charity like Cerebra or Contact-a-Family - they will be able to put you in touch with families who have been in your position, and they might even be able to provide an advocate to talk you through the appeals process. The advocate could attend the appeal with you if you wanted. They know the rules and they will help you to understand how the process works. That insider's knowledge will increase your chances of being successful.

Spoon's advice is very good, by the way - you must ensure that you give specific examples of how you meet the awarding criteria. If you don't demonstrate that you need help with personal care, staying safe outdoors, communicating with others, etc. then your claim will be rejected.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby roseimagines19 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:15 pm

my mum asked me to let you know that the advice and Danni’s rules are really helpful. She’s listed out a typical day and the help I need getting ready and teeth brushing and all those things that other people don’t know about or see that take me lots of time and effort before I even get to school. I am in my teens now, I’ve been 13 for a week! The main help I need is because of my co-ordination, sense of direction and everything taking ages and so on, it’s quite hard to explain to others how things feel funny, like toothpaste, and the rituals I have to do at bedtime with my sleep mask and weighted blanket, wheat bag, eczema gloves, extra blanket and sometimes a sleep meditation – especially as my parents and I don’t really see this as a problem or a special need, it’s just me. (Has anyone else tried a weighted blanket? My OT suggested it for anxiety and it just calms me right down because I can feel it. Mine is blue with clouds on it and it’s one of my special possessions.)

I have had lots of good news in the last week. As well as reducing my epilepsy medicine which makes me even more tired than I am, I now don’t have to do nightmare team sports in PE! I’m not quite sure how it will work out, but we think mum will take me swimming during one of my PE lessons and I might have to do Pilates with a TA in school. I’ll find out this week.

Anyway, mum says thank you everybody, and she’s really glad I’ve joined the forum. :D
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.
Rabindranath Tagore
roseimagines19
Forum Master

Postby Super Nekou » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 pm

My mother put in an application for this when I was under 16 and got turned down, appealed, and still got turned down. I have CP and Dyspraxia, with various difficulties. She's left it up to me if I want to apply again, and whilst I think it might be worth it, I'm a bit unsure. This topic is proving very useful and I will definately consider applying again in the future now that I know a little more about it.

Roseimagines: Good luck with your application! And loving your good news. Good news for people always makes me cheerier.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby roseimagines19 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:09 pm

THanks everyone for all the support! supernekou what does CP stand for???
Rabindranath Tagore
roseimagines19
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:32 pm

I've just thought of another tip...when you are at the appeal, the tribunal judges can't accept any new information. They have to work solely with what is on your form. So think carefully about what you wrote on the forum and all the practical real-life examples you can use to show how those difficulties affect you from day to day. Don't try to add in anything different when you're at the tribunal. Focus on building up the case that you've already put forward on paper.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Super Nekou » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 pm

roseimagines19 wrote:THanks everyone for all the support! supernekou what does CP stand for???

CP stands for cerebal palsy. I'm just a bit of a lazy typer!
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat