Copying other people's mannerisms

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Copying other people's mannerisms

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Am I the only one who does this? Is it a dyspraxic or autistic thing? I've only noticed it recently. A few years ago, when I was about twelve, we had some visitors from Australia with two girls aged twelve and ten. I hung out with the ten year old mostly, but the twelve year old had a habit of biting the inside of her cheek. I started copying her until I got an ulcer in my mouth. The manager and back up singer of my favourite band has a habit of brushing her hair back and I've started doing this, too. It could also explain why I became such a swearaholic when I was younger.

I'm not worried or anything, I just want to know if anyone else does it as well.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Copying other people's mannerisms

Postby abi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 pm

i do pick up odd mannerisms, but i dont think i generally copy them. a lot of people pick up other peoples mannerisma, not just neurodiverse people.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 pm

I agree with Abi-it's not related to dyspraxia or autism in my experience. I often start unconsciously imitating people's accents when I spend a lot of time around them but I think it's a natural human trait to do this. People rarely talk the same way to their friends than they do with their teachers, for example. When I am with friends of mine who use street slang, I often find myself picking up the phrases they use, whereas when I am with my relatives, I speak properly.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Like Steph, I have picked up people's accents before without noticing it. I remember when I first started watching True Blood, there were odd times where I would suddenly be talking in a southern accent.

As for people's actions though, no, not really, I don't really copy anybody.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:57 pm

My boyfriend picks up manerisms left right and center. Consequently, the time he spends hanging out with our friends and I is making him seem more and more odd.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby 07williamsdj » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:58 pm

I was watching my dad playing some war game and a guy on it said: "pick up the shtinger (stinger)" I think that is going to stick with me for a while, and the school to I go to is in a town near to the village where I live, and people there seem to not say h's ("'ave a look at this" for example) and I seem to also not say h's now.
07williamsdj

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat