Confusion

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Confusion

Postby Ben » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:04 pm

First of all, I'd just like to say hey, my name is Ben, and I am 13. In the past few years the fact that I might have dyspraxia has crept upon me. I have quite a few problems that might be related to Dyspraxia, so I was wondering if you could help me determine if I am or not!

Some of my problems are...

Poor Concentration
Repeating myself
Poor Organisation
Occasionally bumping into things
Tripping over more than I'd like to
I have trouble cutting things, so I try to "rip" them apart with my knife and fork.
I hate the texture of all meat apart from chicken.
I'm sensitive to sounds (E.g. fork scraping along plate and my loft ladder)
I have difficulty writing, I either right very slowly and neat, or medium speed and scruffy, and after a while my hand aches.
I have poor short-term memory related to speech (E.g. I'll begin saying something, say umm a few times and recognize I've forgotten what I was saying)
One true talent I have is with computers, I don't know why this is relevant, but this site says about it http://www.devdis.com/dyspraxia.html (In the assesment section)
I sometimes have trouble speaking to people I'm not good friends with
(I won't say much even though I know the person)

Well, there's a few that relate to the reasons on the help post on this site. Please reply soon, I really need your help. Thanks in advance,
Ben.[/url]
Ben

Postby Chaz » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:20 pm

Hi Ben,

I am seventeen and I am mildly dyspraxic. You do sound to me like you may be showing some dyspraxic symptoms.

What do your parents/guardians think? Have you spoken to them about your concerns or have they noticed things themselves?

I suggest your parents/guardians take you to visit your GP telling them you/they think you may be dyspraxic. Your GP will then refer you to a paedetrician. Even if you're not dyspraxic, you may have something similiar, like dyslexia or Aspergers' syndrome.

Some useful websites:
www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk
http://www.educational-psychologist.co. ... cklist.htm
and of course, www.matts-hideout.co.uk

In the meantime, here are some things you can do to cope with daily life, whether you are dyspraxic or not:

-Get all your clothing/packed lunch/books ready for school the night before to avoid a rush in the morning
-don't fill cups too full to prevent spillage
-Use post it notes to remember things
-Write down things you'd like to say in social situations beforehand
-Type work as much as possible
-Keep smiling!!!

Good luck. I do a lot of the same things you do so I know what it's like. Let me know what you decide to do and how you get on

Charlotte x
Chaz

Postby medrich11 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:49 pm

Hi my name's richard and I'm 13 too and I have exactly the same symptoms as you, I also have sensory integration dysfunction so i'm a lot more sensitive.I grew up hating P.E because I always fell over and hurt myself, so I started using computers because they couldn't hurt me. Now I'm really good with computers but rubbish at writing so i have an alphasmart to help me with my presentation.

Things can get hard at times but always remember; If so many before you have managed it, so can you, It really helps.

P.SIf you get angry, don't try to ignore it, go to someone you trust and tell them.
:P
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby medrich11 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:22 pm

hi ben how are you doing, I just came to say that I hope that has helped and I hope your life has been good. just checking up :)
medrich11
Mega Poster

may be dyspraxic

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:12 pm

Yeah, I think you may be dyspraxic because I do many of the same things you do i.e. forgetting what I wanted to say in the middle of the sentence or tripping or repeating myself. I am 19 years old and my name is Shanna by the way.

Fellow American,

Shanna K.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Confusion

Postby life's_odd_but_who_cares? » Sun May 15, 2005 10:14 pm

hi ben. jus wanted to say that yes by the look of this you are definatly dyspraxic and that it looks like you and me have a lot of the same problems!
dont worrie thou, i found out when i was 9 and things have definatly got betta!
most people say i have no heart.... what they dont know is that i actually have the heart of an innocent young girl... in a jar on my desk. (Stephen King)
life's_odd_but_who_cares?

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon May 16, 2005 12:30 am

Yup!! There is hope!! 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat