The Dyspraxia Foundation

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

The Dyspraxia Foundation

Postby Creative » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm not sure if any of you are aware of this but The Dyspraxia Foundation is no longer supporting adults with dyspraxia.
Creative
Forum God !

Re: The Dyspraxia Foundation

Postby bpcooper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 pm

I doubt that creative, they most likely have less funding though and because of that are dropping some of the adult groups.
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Creative » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Not just some, as far as I know it's all of them. Yes I think it is all to do with funding but it's a real shame.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:24 pm

I don't think the adult support groups are stopping, as many of the Dyspraxia Foundation's local branches operate as separate charities even though they are under the Foundation's aegis. I could be wrong. I don't fully understand what has happened, and I don't think it's helpful to speculate when the information that has leaked out isn't complete, but I know that there has been a lot of trouble and discord amongst the Trustees about the role of the Foundation in supporting adults. The Foundation has stated that its primary remit is to support children, young people, and their families - which is something that has been very obvious all along. I have never been particularly impressed by what the Foundation does for teenagers or adults. Even when the funding situation wasn't completely dire, they never offered much for us. They don't even do much for children. It's a parents' network, as so many disability charities are.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat