Pain threshold

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Pain threshold

Postby 07williamsdj » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:00 pm

I hear that some dyspraxic people have very high pain threshold, this isn't the case for me. I have an extremely low pain threshold. That and clumsiness, not good. I am wondering, is there anyone else here with a low pain threshold?
07williamsdj

Re: Pain threshold

Postby Steph » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Yes I have a very low pain threshold to the extent where even someone cutting my toenails for me (I don't have the coordination to do it myself) causes me to wince. I cry at minor injuries as well. It's one of the reasons why I don't think I'll fare well in childbirth when the time comes as even people with high pain thresholds struggle with the pain of labour so I will probably be collapsing in pain or something. I sometimes wish I had been blessed with a high pain threshold but I suppose there are disadvantages to one, mainly not knowing how seriously you've been injured as the pain isn't affecting you-no chance of that with me!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Although weirdly I can't gauge temperature at all-I can have really hot baths that make my whole body bright red yet only feel the water as lukewarm. I always though pain and temperature were received in the same area/s of the brain but obviously not.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby 07williamsdj » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:37 pm

I think pain threshold has something to do with the sensations part of the brain. If it is it would also explain why I hate insects like ladybirds crawling on me. I am sensitive to cold, I am normally the first person to wrap up in winter.
07williamsdj

Postby wadey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:45 pm

i have high pain threshold, for intenset i didnt relaise when i burnt all my chest, didnt know that i broke 7 bones in my wrist etc.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Oh yeah I can't stand insects crawling on me-it never occurred to me that it might be related to pain threshold-that's really interesting.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 pm

I watched a programme about pain, it was really interesting. It was going on about how our mental state can affect how our brains feel pain. For example, in cases where people have had to chop off their own limbs to escape from something, their brains have accepted this is the only way to survive and it has tricked the system into feeling less pain and enabling the person to get through it. It also has something to do with genetics as well as they were observing this whole family where different generations had passed down this really high pain threshold in which they could not feel pain to a very high degree and it was quite dangerous as they sometimes did not realise it was bad for them. For example, where we could drink a hot cup of mug and get burn and feel pain, they wouldn't feel anything.

Steph, I know the nervous system has a big part in feeling pain but I don't know the actual parts of the brain that deals with it but I do know the Hypothalamus is the part responsible for regulating temperature within the body.

I personally have quite a low pain threshold. When I am ill, I literally feel like I am dying.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:03 pm

I have a very low pain threshold, it has always embarassed my parents. I'm not sure allot of my problem isn't just with being a bit of a whimp about things though.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:13 pm

I have a very high pain threshold. I'm always bumping into things and bruising/cutting myself without even realising. But I am rather sensitive about needles, and I need another one in a few weeks *squeak* :(
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby 07williamsdj » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:08 pm

oh no!!! I remember when I had my last jab, scary, but didn't hurt as much as I thought it would
07williamsdj

Postby galexy96 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:05 pm

I had a jab the other day, and i hardly felt it. But the cervical cancer ones i had before hurt, you felt it the whole time it was in your arm :/
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:16 pm

I had my final cervical cancer vaccine about a month ago. It wasn't that bad, even though the last time I almost fainted. I was supposed to have the MMR booster as well but the nurse forgot about it. So after my appointment, I was all happy and smiles 'cause I wouldn't have to go back. But the second I got home, I got a phone call from the nurse saying I had to make another appointment. Whoopie :(
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby 07williamsdj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 pm

If your interested there is horizon: the secret world of pain on BBC iplayer at the moment
07williamsdj

Postby wadey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks for the info Dan, am now watching it
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Dizzy D » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:59 pm

I have a realyy low pain thresh hold to
I am sensitive to cold, I am normally the first person to wrap up in winter.
same I get cold in summer though so oh well :mrgreen:
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat