Do your Teachers help?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Do your Teachers help?

Postby Reedlewis » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:36 pm

I'm in year 11 and am leaving next year. In march 2004 the teachers in learning support haven't done anything to help me in school.
Did you have any problems with teachers at school?
Reedlewis

Postby chrismalaga » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:14 pm

Sometimes Teachers dnt no so u have 2 tell dem ive been in dat situation a couple of times too.
Chris Emms
chrismalaga

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:24 pm

At my last school I recieved little support from my teachers, but at my current school most of them are fantastic. (Fantastic is not the most interesting, original or imaginative of descriptions but in this case I think it thoroughly appropriate.)
When the going gets tough...the tough get going.
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:25 pm

Mine too have got much better over the years. I have easily taught them as much as they have taught me. Education is not a one-way street.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:57 am

If teachers know they can be great if they don't they can be a real pain in the backside. Don't be scared about telling them otherwise they will be really mean to you and think you are stupid!!!
"Love leads to greed, greed leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to sufferering, suffrering leads to the dark side"
Tom
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:12 am

Good advice on the whole, but remember that some teachers' attitudes change for the worse when they find out you have a specific learning difficulty. These teachers are, luckily, very rare. One maths teacher once told my dyslexic friend that because of her dyslexia she could never hope to pass her GCSE - that she would scrape forty percent if she was lucky. (That is a D/E sort of grade.) She actually passed maths with a good C, although it took her a lot of hard work and effort. Similarly, a French teacher wrote on her report that she was a C/D language candidate. This was after she had taken a past paper along with the class and emerged with an A. However, the teacher told the class that that had been an unusually easy paper, and she was going to take them down one grade because of it - she didn't want to give them unrealistic expectations before the exam. That sounded fair enough.

So everyone got taken down one grade, except my friend. She was taken down two grades, so her A became a C. When she indignantly asked why, the teacher said that she didn't want to be responsible for raising any false hopes.

Just so you all know, my friend got an A on her French GCSE.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:59 pm

My current teachers are just brilliant, my PE report, (although my skills grades were very poor, not without good reason) the comment box full of things like,

'Ann Ony-Mous maintains a positive attitude in PE lessons'

'Ann Ony-Mous stamina has improved greatly this term'

'Ann Ony-Mous's organisation is improving steadily'
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:01 pm

I'm very lucky
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:21 pm

You are. It always cheers me up to read things like that - then I know that teachers who appreciate dyspraxic students do exist after all!
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:23 am

Once ,i told a teacher i had dypraxia so she decided to help me more then the others, like, "Tom are you ok?" in the middle of an art lesson, or any random time she would just ask which would get annoying and make people think i was different
"Love leads to greed, greed leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to sufferering, suffrering leads to the dark side"
Tom
Advanced Member

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:09 pm

One teacher in particular in my last school was monsterous her tactics were:

1) To hold up a piece of my untidy work and either encourage hearty laughter from a class that were bullying me or ask the class 'Can anyone tell me what is wrong with Ann Ony-Mous's work?'

2) To arrange the seating so that for no apparant reason I was sitting completely alone in front of all the other desks. (I also noticed that she did this to a dyslexic boy, but it could not have been for extra help because neither of us recieved any.

3) When I tried to report name calling in private she 'well you can be horrible to people too, can't you Ann Ony-Mous?' and then gave a lecture to the class about give and take that afternoon.

4) To tell the staff, head and my parents that I was a rude, naughty and lazy child.

Looking back I realise that my attitude might have prompted some of this but I was frustrated and angry and did not understand what I was doing wrong. However I was given no help with my learning difficulties (despite the fact that even though I was not officially diagnosed, my mum had told the school her shrewd idea of what was the matter) and the bullying continued for a whole two terms.

At my new secondary school things could not be more different. Most of the teachers here:

1) Try to focus on the positive instead of the negative.

2) Encourage me.

3) Excerise discretion when giving me extra help.

4) Encourage me to be as independant as possible.

5) Consult me before taking action that will be obvious to the rest of the class.

6) Make sure that the subject of my difficulties is discussed at profiling and report reading and that I am comfortable in my form group and in lessons.

My teachers only give me help when I need it and certainly don't 'nanny' me, but I am improving very much under thier guidance.

I am lucky beyond belief. There is one teacher (who by a wonderful piece of luck happened to be my first head of year) who understood me especially and helped me and made sure that I got the support that I needed. I hope that most of you will meet a teacher like this, and even if she isn't your head of year, team up with him/her to get the support you need. My deputy head also kept an eye out for me in the first year and was very confident in her decision that it was worth sending me to the school.

Even if you do have a 'bad' teacher, you won't always be with them and you never know when you will meet a brilliant teacher who will turn things round for you. As parnassus says, they can learn from you too.
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:17 am

The website of the New Zealand Dyspraxia Foundation carries some excellent tips for teachers. Perhaps, Lewis, you could print those out and take them into school? How are things going for you now?
parnassus
Site Admin

Teachers

Postby k9ruby » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:30 pm

In my first primary school they were AWFUL!! They complained at parents evenings that i was lazy, slow etc. also we had the DREADED unfinished work tray which about 3/4 was mine!!!

In my 2nd primary school They were ok, some were better than others. my year 6 teacher used to yell at me for not holding a crket bat the right way and complain how bad i was at maths..

I secondary school though...ITS FANTASTIC!!

I have a 12 hour statement and i have phsio once a week and the use of my own computer or alphasmart for most lessons. In PE i am allowed to leave 20mins early, sometimes i do ball skills instead!! my pe teachers also do knocked down versions of exercise, for example when the class had to run twice round our hocky pitch i only had to do half of one!!! at the end of the day i leave 5-10mins early and i will soon be able to leave all lessons early too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:plus exam allounces!!

DYSPRAXIA ALSO HAS ITS PLUS SIDES!!!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby medrich11 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:53 pm

You are very lucky. My secondary school does absolutely none of that and some of the teachers don't even know I am dyspraxic! My P.E teacher made me pick up litter with my BARE HANDS for half the lesson, made me leave late and gave me a detention for forgetting my kit once!!!!!!! My maths teacher also tells me off for messy work when she should know that it's the best I can do. At least I get an alphasmart :)
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:08 pm

Did your parents choose your school especially for its outstanding special needs policies, Ruby? Or does it just treat its work as the bare minimum it can do?! You are truly lucky.

My support is much more understated than that, but it's adequate. I am sour that I didn't get the help when I needed it the most. Those first four years of secondary school were hellish. But now I feel secure.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat