Grooming and getting ready on time.

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Grooming and getting ready on time.

Postby likeasheep » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 am

For girls in particular, does it take you a long time to get ready? I'm only asking this because I started getting ready about an hour ago, and I'm dressed now, but I still don't have my jumper on, and I've still got to do my makeup which I know takes about half an hour at least... I don't even do much, just foundation, concealer and sometimes, mascara... Does anyone else find that it takes a long time? Or is it just me?
likeasheep

Re: Grooming and getting ready on time.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:21 pm

I don't usually wear makeup and I avoid brushing my hair usually - I just hide it under a hat or scarf. To be honest, I don't even shower every day. I am lazy.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby xFCJ1995 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:17 pm

I take quit a while to get changed, things like putting tights on,doing up buttons and tying ties takes me a long time, much to the grievance of my 'patient' friends who have to wait for me after P.E. !

I don't usually bother with make-up other than eyeliner (a big crayon that's really easy to put on), because things like mascara just ends up with me poking myself in the eye and foundation clogs up my skin... I find concealer covers any spots at short notice without the chance of me looking like a tangerine!
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby Creative » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 pm

I don't wear makeup but it takes me ages to get ready in the mornings. My co-ordination is worse in the mornings and that makes things take even longer. Does anyone else find that they are more unco-ordinated than usual first thing in the morning?
Last edited by Creative on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:14 pm

I dont wear makeup - as im allergic to most of it! but it does take me ages to get changed by the time i got my first item on (normally put socks on first) about 10 minutes have gone past.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:09 pm

It does take me longer than average to get showered and into my clothes, but this is mostly because of my memory skills. I forget what I'm doing or get distracted. My thought process will go something like, "Pyjama shorts off, unbutton pyjama shi - ooh, breakfast! Put kettle on the boil. Now, socks. Where did I put my socks? Wander into bedroom. Oh - I must make my bed!" Because all the tasks get broken into pieces it is hard for me to finish unless I have somebody to keep nudging me.

Physically I can manage almost all of my clothes, but this because I deliberately choose things that are dyspraxic-friendly. I don't buy things with lots of buttons, for example, and all my shoes have Velcro fastenings. I don't wear makeup. I used to put on eye makeup occasionally, but I found it too difficult to apply and take off without help, so I stopped. It's too much trouble, unless it's a special occasion like a wedding.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby xFCJ1995 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 pm

In reply to Creative, I agree with co-ordination being worse in the mornings, mainly due to still being half-asleep!
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby Rosie-posie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:40 pm

I get distracted when im getting dressed too so it takes me longer i try not to get to distracted when im going to work as theres normally not much time. It normally takes me a bit longer when i go on nights out etc because i straighten my hair make-up etc xxx
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 pm

My coordination is also worse in the mornings-I tend to get dressed sitting down, only standing up to pull my jeans up as I am likely to fall over if I get dressed whilst standing. I only wear makeup for special occasions and, even then, my mum and sister do it for me. I don't take much longer than average though.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:13 am

Yes, I am clumsier in the mornings.

It can help to shower in the evenings and then just quickly wash at the sink in the morning.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Yes I only ever have showers in the evenings, partly because of coordination but also because I like my sleep too much to get up half an hour earlier to have a shower.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:58 pm

Yes, sleep is a beautiful thing!
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Super Nekou » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Much to the annoyance of everyone I always look a mess because I wear comfy baggy clothes that take a minute or two to put on and I'm ready. Always forget to brush my hair and I hate make-up and dont want to try it so I dont wear it. I always wear male clothes so everything is too big for me and I can slip any buttoned clothes on and off. Though I've gone to wearing elasticated sweatpants which are even easier to put on. I can manage to zip things up thankfully with some time, and my trainers are super easy to put on due to velcro now. I just get them and my slippers on the wrong feet quite often >_>
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby likeasheep » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:34 am

It's really interesting, seeing everyone's responses to things! To be honest, I only do makeup to make it so I'm not picked upon for being even more different than I already am. :( I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who takes forever getting ready in the mornings.

xFCJ1995, I can sympathise completely with getting changed after PE. :( I was always the last out of the changing rooms and I used to pretend I'd forgotten my kit just so I didn't have to do it. And in swimming, too! I always had to walk back with my friend because I was too slow to catch the minibus with everyone else.

Creative, if I read in the mornings, it gives me really red eyes and a headache, so I try and avoid it. D:

Wadey, I'm allergic to a lot of makeup, but in Superdrug, they have this line called Une that's really hypoallergenic... I think that Bourjois made it, so it's good stuff - it's what I use, anyway, if you're looking to use some stuff!

Parnassus, I understand completely about getting distracted. :( My parents don't help with that because they'll keep stopping me when I'm on a mission to do something to check if I've done something else... It's not a help at all!

Rosie-posie, Steph, and Thirteen-thirty-seven, I still completely agree with the coordination being bad in the mornings. I can't even put on trousers properly - I always try putting both legs in one hole. I only wash in the evenings too! I'd take much too long every morning otherwise.

Super Nekou, I'm glad you've found something that really works for you. :D Also, I love your signature!
likeasheep

Postby Wolf Spirit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:40 pm

It takes me ages to get dressed, especially if distracted by something. *Cough cough the Wii cough cough*
Pinkie Pie is best pony!
Wolf Spirit
Forum Master

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat