What's the strangest description of dyspraxia you've heard?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

What's the strangest description of dyspraxia you've heard?

Postby Steph » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:44 pm

On an AS group on Facebook this evening, I saw dyspraxia described as a symptom of Parkinsons Disease. I thought that was the strangest description I had ever heard, not to mention medically incorrect, and it just got me thinking-what's the strangest description of dyspraxia you've ever come across?
Steph
Forum God !

Re: What's the strangest description of dyspraxia you've heard?

Postby Alice » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:25 pm

My dad says the sensory overload is because dyspraxic/autistic people are basiacally on a perpetual trip like if they'd taken some kind of stimulant.

Since he has never been normal or had as much of a tendency to overload as me, or being on drugs, I'm not sure how he arrived at this conclusion.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Kirbster12 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:25 pm

I was on here in the music room at school yesterday. A boy in my class came over and said "Dysparxia(exact wording!), what's that?" When I did'nt tell him, he looked it up. Then the rest of the class came in. Another person, I can't remember who, came in and asked me what it was. Before I could reply, the boy piped up "It's a motor neurone problem!"
Here is an extract from the website he was on:

"Dyspraxia can affect any or all areas of development - intellectual, emotional, physical, language, social and sensory - and may impair a person’s normal process of learning. Usually, it's said to be an impairment or immaturity of the organisation of movement, but associated with this may be problems of language, perception and thought."

Can anyone see the words "motor neurone problem" in there, 'cause I can't! :?
What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring. ~ Sherlock :)

City Council would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park...
Kirbster12
Forum Master

Postby C » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:34 pm

Steph wrote:On an AS group on Facebook this evening, I saw dyspraxia described as a symptom of Parkinsons Disease. I thought that was the strangest description I had ever heard, not to mention medically incorrect, and it just got me thinking-what's the strangest description of dyspraxia you've ever come across?

I think one aspect of Parkinsons disease is a lack of motor control... I also know there's something called 'acquired dyspraxia' which means a lack of motor coordination after some injury to the brain, such as a stroke. Maybe that's what the Parkinsons Disease description you saw meant.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat