Newly Dyspraxic

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Newly Dyspraxic

Postby Fairy_19 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:45 am

So... Just had my assessment and I do have Dyspraxia..

Not sure how I feel about it!
Fairy_19

Re: Newly Dyspraxic

Postby Rosie-posie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:36 pm

hello im rosie and i was diagnosed when i was 4 im now 23, i think especially if you were diagnosed later it can be quite a mixed feeling as you want a reason to describe the difficulties youve been having. This board is great for being around people who understand etc.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Fairy_19 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi Rosie :)
Yeah I'm 20 and only just found out today. I'm quite glad I know so I do have some answers but I don't want people thinking differently of me!
Fairy_19

Postby MairiTheMack » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:11 pm

I'm sooo glad I found this website!

I only found out I was dyspraxic a few months ago, after starting college and I'm 18. My doctor looked up my past medical history and came up with the name Dyspraxia/DCD. I had no clue at the time what it was! I was a bit worried it would hold me back in things such as College work and social life. However, it has actually made my time in College soooo much easier. I get the use of a laptop in exams/tests and extra time :). Makes study life sooo much easier!

What did get me down though was that I have plenty of dyslexic friends, but no one who'se dyspraxic. Now, after finding this website, it's making life a bit better, I'm seeing that there's soo many people out there that are like me... I just thought I was odd! :P

Thanks soo much for this website :D!
MairiTheMack

Postby Rosie-posie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:40 pm

seems to be the case a lot more people seem to know about dyslexia than dyspraxia still. As for people knowing if theyre understanding people telling people shouldnt be a problem if theyve never heard of dyspraxia maybe show them a book writen by a board member on here caged in chaos by victoria biggs its really helpful.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Fairy_19 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Yeahh I know alot of people with dyslexia too.
They don't really get the things I struggle with, they just think that i'm clumsy and that's it. Especially my housemate....she asked about my assessment and what help i'd get. I told her about getting extensions on my assignments (I don't want that, I don't want everyone to be finished an assignment and celebrating while I'm still finishing, I just need to understand that I need to start it a bit earlier than other people to manage my time better and spend a bit more time on it) and her reply was 'Sorry but what do you need that for? F*** that I'm gonna get an assessment and see what I can get!' Not that she has any problems.... she just leaves everything til the last minute on purpose. She doesn't really get how some things are a struggle for me, probably because i have hidden it for so long as I thought well everyone must struggle with that i need to stop over exaggerating and that everyone finds car headlights painful, spends hours writing and re-writing assignment plans to try get the structure right and it still not make sense, everyone finds it hard to concentrate on what someone is saying if they talk for longer than 5 minutes (like in seminars and lectures)
Fairy_19

Postby Rosie-posie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:22 pm

you've tried to be positive and not let get things get you down, which is a good thing but i think as you get older what you find difficult changes like i dont have much trouble with my hand eye co-orination these days and i dont fall over as much as i used to etc, but im exactly the same for writing essays and my short term memory is awful and the concentration on people talking etc. My friends can be quite similar i was saying that i had a 2,500 word essay due in and my mate was like oh i could do that in a night, id be an anxious wreck if i did that and it would be of awful standard. I suggest you show her vicky's book and point out the other difficulties apart from being clumsy that you find hard. Hope ive helped.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Fairy_19 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah that's true :)
I think she finds it hard to understand aswell because when we do our assignments we'll usually start them the same time, and whereas i'll be sat writing and re writing and re- re writing plans and spending ages changing things about she'll spend time making cups of tea or doing other things to procrastinate and she doesn't realise i'm having to work a lot harder :P
Thanks for your help :)
Fairy_19

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat