HELP!! PARENTS, TEACHERS & DYSPRAXIC TEENS

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

HELP!! PARENTS, TEACHERS & DYSPRAXIC TEENS

Postby t21dar » Wed May 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi :lol: :lol:

Im appealing to all Parents, Teachers or Dyspraxic Teens.

I have to research a Learning Resource for children with an SEN and have decided to use Dyspraxia. I am looking for resources that arn't specifically on the market to buy, rather that have been created or developed by parents, teachers or teens themselves that help or aid there learning experience.

Any information you could provide would be very helpful as im trying to mix mainstreem resources with resources that have been individually created.

Many Thanks in advance
t21dar

Re: HELP!! PARENTS, TEACHERS & DYSPRAXIC TEENS

Postby thevaneone6601 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Just speaking for myself I am not sure if this is the right place ffor you to post
thevaneone6601
Power Poster

Postby t21dar » Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi

Thanks for reading my post. Sorry you feel that way, Is there any reason behind your comments? Only I really don't want to be offending anyone? It is purely research for a university teaching course I'm doing?

Thanks
t21dar

Postby thevaneone6601 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:15 pm

It is ok , this is just my opinion but this is a place for people with dyspraxia to feel safe. Not to give out information y'know
thevaneone6601
Power Poster

Postby t21dar » Fri May 13, 2011 7:27 pm

Oh :oops: sorry I really didn't mean to offend, as I said I'm studying teaching & doing a huge project & paper on dyspraxia in secondary education & just wanted to further my research with 'real life' situations/guidence to get a better knowledge & understanding rather than just 'textbook' info and I thought this site was for teens & parents with dyspraxic teens.

Again sorry if I have offended anyone it really wasn't meant in that manner

Thanks
t21dar

Postby thevaneone6601 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:29 pm

s'ok in regards to the question I personally have no experience to any of those things sorry
thevaneone6601
Power Poster

Postby k9ruby » Sat May 14, 2011 6:13 am

Hi t21dar,

Thanks for showing an interest in DT for your research project- it is encouraging that more people want to gain a deeper understanding of Dyspraxia in real life situations- I'm at the severe end, and have been an atypical case! Some people may feel a bit defensive as DT is generally regarded a 'safe place' and as you can probably appreciate, want to ensure DT remains an environment where people can go for a chat, assistance or queries without having to think who might be reading their posts. Its a bit of a safe haven that has not only changed lives positively, but saved them as well. As I'm sure you can understand we want to keep it this way and keep everyone feeling comfortable to post here whenever they might need to.

Can I ask more about your project and what you require- I might be able to direct you to the best place and give you any assistance you might find helpful.

Hope this helps and isn't too much of an essay!

Ruby :)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby thevaneone6601 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks ruby that's exatly what I wanted to say lol
thevaneone6601
Power Poster

Postby C » Sat May 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi,

I think it's a good idea for a project and I think it's encouraging you choose dyspraxia, as it isn't well known.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd be happy to give you some ideas about good resources that would help me... the only problem is I'm having trouble thinking of any that aren't already around! Was there a particular area of dyspraxia that you were thinking of focusing on (motor skills, organisation, handwriting etc?) Maybe a good thing for me personally would be something to better organise myself, as I'm always writing on post its things to do/remember but then losing them! Or maybe something to improve my handwriting skills. That's all I can really think of at the moment, I'll have to think some more!

I hope this has helped.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 pm

I would also be very happy to provide information. Providing researchers don't sit watching the forum covertly and use it without our knowledge, I don't have any issue with research being done here. It helps to make things better for people with dyspraxia. :)

Organising my time is one of my biggest challenges, coupled with remembering all the things I need to do. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by it all that I become paralysed. Calendars and charts don't work because I can rarely judge how much time I need to give to a particular thing, and I tend to forget to use them after a while. A resource for effective time-planning would be really useful.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Wed May 18, 2011 12:42 pm

This is a topic I will not be contributing to. I don't think it is right for you use this site as research and it is also showing laziness on your part because you should go out and meet face to face with people who consentually want to give you this information, if you want to do this kind of research.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby abi » Wed May 18, 2011 1:42 pm

most of the rescorses i use are thingd i have made myself. i like printing planners and things off, laminating them, and using drywipe markers to write on them.

if there is anything i can help with, i will, im glad to help any research to raise awareness, to to help improve lives for neurodiverse people (or anyone).
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Thu May 19, 2011 1:31 pm

I don't see the harm in asking what you want to know. It'd be a little strange, and ethically dubious, if you were to trawl through the forums and study us like wildlife but that's different to asking for help outright.

Brian, it's not lazy to try and include comunities relating to the group you're studying in your research, it's thougrough. If one were to use a single forum as ones only source, that would be lazy. It'd also get flagged up when somebody actually read the work (and references).

t21dar, I'm afraid you'll have to forgive the abruptness of some of our members. It is a very close, and extremely valubal community, of which many of us are extremely protective. Generaly, we are extremely welcoming, but some people are rather wary of the forum becoming something other than what it is (if that makes any sense, I'm sure if you've had a place like this, you'll know what I mean).

Just make sure to follow the forum rules, and normal manners.

Also, just noting, you're question isn't all that clear. What exactly do you want to know?
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Sun May 22, 2011 4:54 pm

I agree with Alice. We're not exactly being very friendly here.

research can be intrusive (I'm carrying out psychological research with children myself at the moment and I know how important it is to be ethical) t21dar isn't exactly doing anything without our consent, as they have posted on here and specifically asked for help with the study (if they were taking things we'd written and quoting them without our consent, that would be different). When people expressed concern, t21dar immediately apologised and tried to be understanding, saying they didn't want to offend anyone, I honestly don't see any problem with this. Even if someone personally doesn't want to contribute (which is completely fine), there's no reason why others shouldn't help.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby t21dar » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi
Can I start by thanking all of you for all of your post especially the ones that have given me an insight into your personal issues with dyspraxia? However I appreciate that some of you might feel uncomfortable with giving any information about yourselves as this is a very personal matter to all of you in different ways and I in no way wish to be intrusive.
I would like however just like to reassure you all that my research is for good reason and explain a little better.

first of all I would like to clear up a matter that ‘Brian’ bought up about my research being ‘lazy’ I have actually just spent 3months voluntary in a SEN department in my local school learning more about SEN within secondary schools and the difficulties young people face working very closely with the school SENCO. During this time I became familiar with dyspraxia and more and more intrigued and decided that this was what I would base my project on, however we only had 2 pupils within the school who suffered with Dyspraxia so my research was limited and didn’t give me a broad enough scope to have an objective opinion on this SEN. I also have read several books and feel I know the ‘Dyspraxia foundation’ off by heart. However as I have posted previously I didn’t want to base my research on ‘textbooks’ So as I appreciate your anxiety at feeling I’m being intrusive, and I appreciate you not wanting to provide information however I have never been offensive in any way or judged you but I do actually take it personally being called lazy and feel that is a huge assumption to make. (Thank you Alice & C for your support)

I also wanted to clear up what it is I’m trying to achieve. I have to write an essay on a chosen SEN. Research what Dyspraxia and how it effects people in everyday life. I.e. Fine Motor Skills, Cognitive behaviour, balance etc. Also look at two teaching strategies that help make pupils life easier while at school. For example I have chosen Learning Support Assistant & multi sensory approach.

The other part of my project is to design and make an Educational learning recourse for a pupil with Dyspraxia from research gained. As I have said previously I wanted to look at ‘real life’ situations and not just designing and making something based on what ‘Drs’ and ‘psychologists’ say are the everyday effects of Dyspraxia.

As one of pupils said ‘I know what I need to help me and what works best for me, I feel extremely frustrated when teachers, parents and educational officers tell me what I have to do and what is best for me’ This was a very bright pupil who felt he did not need an LSA and felt singled out by main stream school having to have an LSA and felt this would leave him a target for bullying’. I found this fascinating that decisions were being taken away from him and at this point redirected my attention to everyday life and everyday situations wanting to focus my research on ‘You’ not books.

During my research I read a statement saying that Dyspraxia is the ‘Hidden Handicap’ now taking away that this is pretty politically incorrect it statement and not one I like to use it was in a book called ‘The Hidden Handicap 1999’ but I did like that it tried to explain dyspraxia to people who aren’t affected rather than just telling you what it is. It does this using this statement. And based on those that have contributed to my research I was wondering if you could also read this and let me know if this is correct, exaggerated, or not strong enough in fact?

Try walking around using a pair of binoculars turned around the wrong way. At the same time wear a pair of boxing gloves or thick gloves that are too big for you. Place your walkman on your ears and then turn the volume up. Now walk around the room and around the furniture and try to negotiate going up and down the stairs. How difficult is this? Do you feel frustrated at your ability to do certain things? Do you want to switch off the noise so that you can concentrate on getting down stairs or under the table? Now try this with someone talking at you? How does this feel?
The Hidden Handicap (1999) p.99

For all those that have provided an insight into their personal situations I’m am truly grateful as everybody has their own hurdles to overcome and I in no way mean to be intrusive or offensive I am just a student that became fascinated by Dyspraxia from a pupil I worked with an has based my studies on.
Lastly I would l just like to reassure all of you that I have never or would never read any of your other posts they are very personal to you and would be like reading someone’s diary.
Thanks again for all of your support and comments
t21dar

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat