Switch to full style
Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.
Post a reply

Umbrellas are dangerous!!! ¬ ¬

Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 am

I have just discoverd that I should not be allowed anywhere near an umbrella!

Just trying to open one - I nearly lost three fingers! (slight dramatisation.) And then theres the lovely, pointy, metal spikes on the inside of the material, perfect for poking an eye out! I find it incredibly hard to actually push the umbrella up, to open it out. I don't think I bought a very dyspraxic-friendly umbrella. If one exisits? Or maybe we are just destined to get drenched.

Now I think I now have umbrella-phobia! :shock:

Anyone else have an umbrella related story to tell? :P

Re: Umbrellas are dangerous!!! ¬ ¬

Thu May 26, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm OK with opening umbrellas-it's closing them that's the problem for me. I never seem to get it right and it explodes open again, usually right in my face! I also struggle to keep hold of them, especially when it's windy. I rarely use them though-I usually just use the hood on my jacket or hoodie to cover my head when it's raining.

Sun May 29, 2011 5:28 pm

I have to use umbrellas all the time nowadays with the terrible weather 'up north' (it's far nicer in the south!) But, like you, I have all kinds of problems with them! Mine always end up getting blown away and broken or lost.

Sun May 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Who needs Umbrella's :?:
I prefer my hood :D

Mon May 30, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm no good with umbrellas! I use my hood when it rains.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:31 pm

I remember that once the wind ripped the umbrella out of my hand, had to chase it, not good. I now always use my hood if I have one.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:36 pm

I dont use umbralles nor do i use hoods, i just perfer getting wet

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:28 pm

I am ok with umbrellas, i dont tend to hurt myself, i just seem to hurt everyone else around me with them! haha :D

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:21 am

I don't have a personal problem with umbrellas however i find it hard avoiding those holding umbrellas my ex girlfriend poking me in the eyes a few times it hurts i swear everyone holds umbrellas eye level when walking past me so i don't have time to react or im too slow one of the two :(

Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Once, my friend was mucking about with an umbrella, and, in order to defend the guy I liked, I stepped in front and instead I got poked in the eye. It killed but the hug and the 'You're my best friend' from the guy was worth it. I can't hold umbrellas very well and I often get injured, eg. getting poked in the eye and hitting my own head.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:03 pm

Would it be easier to use one of those ones you just push the trigger to open fully?

I like umbrellas but since my primary mode of transport is my bicycle, they're of limited practicality.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Alice wrote:Would it be easier to use one of those ones you just push the trigger to open fully?

I like umbrellas but since my primary mode of transport is my bicycle, they're of limited practicality.

They exist? Never heard of them.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:25 pm

They're suprisingly common. You come across them in shops all the time (if you look at a lot of umbrellas like I do).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Umbrellaworld-Aluminium-auto-umbrella-orange/dp/B004VRBAHA/ref=sr_1_27?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1308594158&sr=1-27
I think this one is an automatic. See the little trigger on the handle? You push that and it opens all the way.

I'd shop around though, I've seen them cheaper and nicer looking before. I have one from a pound shop which is very stylish.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Wow! I want one now!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm okay with umbrellas although if it windy, I can have trouble holding on to them.

http://www.firebox.com/product/2616/Samurai-Umbrella

^ That's my umbrella. :D I just love the funny looks I get with it and trust me, no one comes near me when I have it with me especially when it's folded down as it does from a distance look like a proper sword! :P

I find I have more trouble with other people and their umbrellas, some people are deadly with them! I've been jabbed in the neck before by the metal spike parts, not nice!
Post a reply