Non Verbal Learning Disorder

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Non Verbal Learning Disorder

Postby Creative » Sat May 28, 2011 5:27 pm

I was reading about non verbal learning disorder and it sounds very similiar to dyspraxia. How is it different from dyspraxia?
Creative
Forum God !

Re: Non Verbal Learning Disorder

Postby C » Sun May 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi,

An educational psychologist told me she thought I had this (not dyspraxia) a few years ago. According to her, it differs from dyspraxia as people with Non Verbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) have more social, visual-spatial and sensory problems. However, others have said that it's the American term for dyspraxia. Given that a lot of sources and other people who have dyspraxia have said that they have social problem, visual spatial and sensory problems (even those who do not have a comorbid condition such as Asperger's Syndrome), I'm not really sure what to make of the definition the ed psyc gave! But I do know NVLD is far better known than America. It maybe used occasionally as a 'catch all' in the UK for people who don't quite meet the definition for other specific learning difficulties, I don't really know. Sorry, I know that's not much help. If you google it, you get quite a lot of websites though.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Non Verbal Learning Disorder

Postby mrobservant » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:51 am

C wrote:Hi,

An educational psychologist told me she thought I had this (not dyspraxia) a few years ago. According to her, it differs from dyspraxia as people with Non Verbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) have more social, visual-spatial and sensory problems. However, others have said that it's the American term for dyspraxia. Given that a lot of sources and other people who have dyspraxia have said that they have social problem, visual spatial and sensory problems (even those who do not have a comorbid condition such as Asperger's Syndrome), I'm not really sure what to make of the definition the ed psyc gave! But I do know NVLD is far better known than America. It maybe used occasionally as a 'catch all' in the UK for people who don't quite meet the definition for other specific learning difficulties, I don't really know. Sorry, I know that's not much help. If you google it, you get quite a lot of websites though.

You know, this is interesting... I'd like to find a way to see if I can contact a physician in the United States, (maybe even mines eventually) to see whether they know anything about this.
mrobservant

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat