How were you diagnosed, who by, what was difficult in this

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:51 am

No...my difficulty is the other way round! Because I am severely dyspraxic, my short-term memory is notoriously poor. As I put my purse down and literally can't remember where it is five seconds later (even if it is in plain view) people refuse to accept that my long-term memory is as good as it is. I can remember conversations from long ago in minute detail, but because they can't remember these things, they insist that I'm making them up.

I prove them wrong in exams though - I just have to read the textbook once and I remember everything. I am very grateful to God for this gift. Without it, I would have to work a thousand times harder than I already do.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

re

Postby k9ruby » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:16 pm

No...my difficulty is the other way round! Because I am severely dyspraxic, my short-term memory is notoriously poor. As I put my purse down and literally can't remember where it is five seconds later (even if it is in plain view)

That sound s just like me!!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby medrich11 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:44 am

No...my difficulty is the other way round! Because I am severely dyspraxic, my short-term memory is notoriously poor. As I put my purse down and literally can't remember where it is five seconds later (even if it is in plain view)

same here. I once spent 15 minutes looking for a dice for a board game to find it was in my hand!
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:11 am

I cannot remember for me
Phil
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:50 am

I don't think I have problems with people believing I have bad short term memory, because I forget all the time. I think I have trouble believing it myself rather because I always think I can remember stuff so I don't write it down. THen, I get into trouble!! :oops: Ruby, I have the same problem as you. I can't remember where I put things about 5-10 seconds later. I usually get distracted by something else or I start to daydream. I think that is partly because of my disorganization (the memory part, anyway). :oops: I am SOO good at remembering stuff from when I was a kid though. The past is easier to remember because of my good long-term memory. I often talk about the stuff I remember well. That is why people know I have good longterm memory. 8) I remember so much, they think it is weird sometimes. Well, not weird, I guess, but just something they would never remember. 8) I can remember dates and numbers really well. I know celebrity birthdays better than anyone I know. Also I can remember names pretty well. When I watch a movie, I can place a name of a pretty-much unknown actor to a face if I have read about them before only a few times. 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby alexlaird87 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:24 pm

you think you got it bad, ive got terrible short and long term memory!!!
i'll put a glass down, then next minute i'll be searching high and low for it.

On the other hand i can remeamber quite a few things from my past, but have no idea when they happend with respect to each other. i remeamber most of my birthdays, but can't remeamber which one was which. the past is like a big ball of memories for me, all jumbled up!
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:42 pm

That's odd. It's quite unusual for people with dyspraxia to have poor long-term memory. My working (short-term) memory is so impaired that my LTM developed in recompense, or so the psychologist says. I wonder why this didn't happen with you?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby alexlaird87 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:15 pm

my ed-psyc said i have dyspraxia with dyslexic tendancies, so that could be it. The thing is i can often remeamber things from long ago, and in quite good detail, its just i have no idea when it happened!
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:34 pm

my ed-psyc said i have dyspraxia with dyslexic tendancies, so that could be it. The thing is i can often remeamber things from long ago, and in quite good detail, its just i have no idea when it happened!

I have never heard of that kind of thing happening. It must be really hard for you!! :( Have you tried any memory techniques, like writing the event on the back of a photo and then memorizing just the date? I dunno. That's all I got. I apologize because my brain is fried. I have been studying almost all day and I still have to do some more! :( [/quote]
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

memory

Postby k9ruby » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:07 pm

Something funny happened to me about 3days ago, in centre parcs.

I got out the swimming pool got into the changing room and dried my hair and got changed!

BUT... When it came to packing away... I could not find the towl, i locked under over, side to side trying to find it.

Only to remember it was still on my head! :lol: :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby alexlaird87 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:25 pm

think thats good? one day i came back from school and reallised that i'd no idea where my bag was. i tough i may have putit down somewhere, so we scoured about a mile of cannel tow-path, went all the way back to my school, and still we could not find it,
we trudged home in defeat, only to find it was proped up against the setee, where i had droped it as i came through the front door!!!!
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat