How many are there?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

do you know many people who are dyspraxic?

yes
8%
no
92%

Total votes : 12

How many are there?

Postby medrich11 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:31 pm

I don't know about you but I know only one other person with dyspraxia. I don't know anyone else in my 1049 strong school but I know about 11 people with dyslexia. Is this the same everywhere or is it just my area?
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:42 pm

I only know about a couple of people with dyspraxia but I know loads with dyslexia. There probably are more people with dyspraxia but it just isn't recognised as well as dyslexia is.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby medrich11 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:43 pm

thanks I find the same thing. My friend was diagnosed with mild dyspraxia only a monrh ago :lol:
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:06 pm

Yeah, I'm not diagnosed as being dyspraxic but I do have quite a lot of the symptoms. If I do have it, it would be mild too.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:51 pm

Bear in mind that fifty percent of dyslexic people also have co-ordination problems or other difficulties that come under the dyspraxic heading. If my psychologist gave me my full glorious title, I would have 'dyspraxia, dyscalculia, and some evidence of non-verbal learning disorder with elements of Asperger's syndrome'. We are what Lisa Blakemore-Brown calls 'tapestry kids': the dividing line between differences is blurry, and most people have a cocktail of specific learning difficulties and autistic spectrum disorders.

Dyspraxia causes me the biggest problems, so now my assessment report gives that as a conclusive diagnosis. However, when I was doing GCSEs and so had to take maths, the psychologist also listed dyscalculia. Now that I am on my way to university, she has emphasised my 'Aspergerish' social problems in a way that she did not do before, as she expects them to be highlighted in the university environment.

Do you see what I'm driving at here? A person will be labelled as purely dyslexic if their dyslexia causes them their biggest problems. They may have dyspraxia as well, but to them it is a 'secondary' difficulty. It's possible that a few posters on here have dyspraxia as the main course and dyslexia as a side dish, but aren't diagnosed with a reading disability.

That said, it is true that a great many people with dyspraxia fly under the wire and are never detected.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby medrich11 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:58 am

I have dyspraxia and sensory integration dysfunction but I have no reading difficulties at all so I know I'm not dyslexic. On a good day I can read around 100 pages of small print excluding school hours.
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby Tom » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:32 pm

I think loads of people have dispraxia they just don't know they have it. While dyslexia is known to most people.
Tom
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 pm

Yes, dyspraxia is definitely more mysterious.

But while dyslexia is well-known, it is also poorly understood. So many people persist in believing that it's lla tuoba siht. (That it's all about this.) Dyslexia is so much more than distorted reading.

Awareness is rising now. I feel so lucky to be part of the twenty-first century. There are so many historical figures who could well have ha dyspraxia or a related difference shaping their thoughts - G.K. Chesterton, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Albert Einstein, to name but a few - and I shudder to think what school was like for them.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby medrich11 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:29 pm

I have two close friends who are dyslexic. THe only problem they've shown is reading and writing difficulties but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other things as well.

It's like people insisting that dyspraxia is just being clumsy. I have so many people yelling me that I shouldn't be using an alphasmart because they say that nothings wrong with me. This is more true of my friend james who has one but only has a concentration difficulty smaller than dyspraxia gives you - I have seen his file in the V.I Unit.
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:20 am

Hmm. Not the 'but-there's-nothing-wrong-with-you!' type again. :roll:

Funnily enough, I have noticed that the people who come out with this kind of remark are also the people who constantly tease and criticise you. So it is with me, anyway. Ironic that the very people who take great joy in pointing out all my faults and difficulties are the ones who insist that there is no such thing as dyspraxia.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby rusty » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Yeah i get that a llot because i use a palmtop computer in school. because of it i have been labled a "retard" by the "cool" people. the trick s to not let it phase you because they don't know what they are talking about. and if they did they probobly wouldn't understand.
I got into 6th form
rusty

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat