Roads

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby Spoon girl » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:34 am

I even look both ways when crossing a one way street!

I thought that was just me lol. Well you never know a car could go the wrong way! I also look the wrong way. Seems to take me too long to work out which way the cars are coming form so its just safer to look both!
My 17th birthday is in a few months and I am scared of learning to drive for the same reasons. I mean if I can day dream while crossing the road and have a near miss then if I'm driving...... I have been assured by many people though htat because it is such a big responsibility that you are more 'on the ball' so to speak!
The capacity of the body is limited
Yours, mine, everybody's
But the capacity of the soul is unlimited
Your's, mine, everybody's
Spoon girl
Mega Poster

Postby slinky_malinki » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:06 pm

I once sank into a mire of daydreams when riding a horse across along a dirt track in the Lake District. The horse had decided to slow to a walk and take a morning constitutional through a river before I woke up. The only reason I noticed this change of plan was because very cold water had started to slop into my riding boots. Did I panic? No. I casually and calmly directed the horse back onto the trail. I can't help having this dashing flair. I was born with it. B)

It ruined my favourite socks, though!

So the, "You're on the ball when you're in a position of responsibility!" argument has never really sat well with me. If you're going to learn to drive, please, please, PLEASE do several sessions in a simulator first. Then practise in a very large, very empty field for a few weeks. Then try some quiet roads. Get an assessment done by an official at your local Mobility Advice and Vehicle Information Service - this is an an organization that helps disabled drivers - and you will be told a.) whether it is safe for you to learn to drive, and b.) how to adapt your car, if the answer is yes. You may need parking sensors etc. to help you. There is a chapter on safe driving in my book.

I sound very negative - my friend Jamie is constantly trying to convince me to learn to drive - but I refuse to do anything I don't feel safe with. At the moment, driving is not an option for me. My co-ordination is too poor. Perhaps this may pick up as my occupational therapy sessions intensify, but I doubt it. My psychologist has very kindly but matter-of-factly explained to me that there are certain realities that I have to face up to, and the fact that I am severely dyspraxic is one of them. If this means that I can't drive, I will simply adapt to my situation. There is a lot of peer pressure to get behind the steering wheel - it feels as if everyone in my sixth-form can drive except for me - but I have always prided myself on being able to resist pressure, if indeed I ever notice it at all.

And besides, not driving has its plus points. I am saving the ozone layer over here!
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby Spoon girl » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:27 pm

I am not diagnosed as dyspraxic so we will have to see how it goes! I will keep you posted.
My mum is desperate for me to learn though because I am always asking for lifts to concerts and rehearsals! I would actually be doign the enviroment some good considering she has to take me then come back then come to collect me and come home! So it's half the petrol!
The capacity of the body is limited
Yours, mine, everybody's
But the capacity of the soul is unlimited
Your's, mine, everybody's
Spoon girl
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat