do you think dyspraxia has a genetic link

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

do you think dyspraxia has a gentic link

yes
55%
no
45%

Total votes : 11

do you think dyspraxia has a genetic link

Postby towildhoney » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:42 pm

do you think dyspaxia has a genetic link?
I'm not sure I'd appreciate peoples opinions
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby medrich11 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:00 am

I think so because My dad had it but my sister doesn't so I'm not sure
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:27 am

It's possible that there has to be a genetic predisposition, but that other factors are needed to trigger the disorder. I believe that dyspraxia can have multiple causes, and that these vary from person to person.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:36 pm

My mum is also slightly dyspraxic, and my sister is slightly dyslexic. My problems are not slight but they are not enormous either so I would say I am a 'middling' dyspraxic. Though it's hard to tell because in some areas my skills are better than in others.

I have another dyspraxic cousin and a dyslexic cousin on my mum's side.
When the going gets tough...the tough get going.
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Postby Phil » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:22 am

I am also unsure whether there is a link
Last edited by Phil on Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:39 am

I have a nephew with autism and a brother with mild dyslexia. My granddad displayed traits of what could easily have been AS. Yet there is no such thing as a dyspraxic chromosome. When I was diagnosed they took some blood from me and examined the chromosomes carefully, searching for abnormalities. There were none. If dyspraxia had a genetic basis, this could surely be detected through the person's biochemistry. Yet having so many people with specific learning and pervasive developmental differences in one family can't be coincidental.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby ~Jenny~ » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:36 am

I think there might be a genetic link but it might not show up when you chromosomes are looked at because it might be a common occurance. This would mean that it wasn't entirely the genetic factors that cause it and other factors need to also be in place for any problems to occur. Within my family my brother had mild co-ordination problems when he was younger but doesn't have them anymore and my grandma has recently gained dyslexic tendencies after having a stroke which would back up that there is some genetic factors but that they don't show up by themselves.
~Jenny~
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:26 pm

Acquired dyspraxia and developmental dyspraxia are two different conditions, or so my neurologist explained to me. A psychologist will always rule out the possibility of stroke or trauma to the head before giving a dyspraxic label. Acquired dyspraxia usually has an easily idenitifable cause, whereas developmental dyspraxia has a multiplicity of causes. It is quite possible that some people possess a genetic predisposition, but that other factors - be they internal or exogenous - are needed to trigger it off.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat