Philosophy

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Are you religious?

yes
33%
no
67%

Total votes : 18

Philosophy

Postby medrich11 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:34 pm

What do you think about religion. Do you believe there is an afterlife at all?
Ibelieve there is no heaven or hell or anything like that but humans have to believe in something, you know? Can you just imagine your life and soul just nto being there, no you ever again. In movies the peole who say I'm not afraid of death have not thought about it enough. I'm not afraid of dying, but afterwards is where I draw the line.
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:18 pm

I am quite a religious person. I was baptised a Catholic, but I grew up in the heartland of the Islamic faith - Saudi Arabia. Religion is inextricably woven into the fabric of everyday life here. When I ring up my best friend Sobia to ask her to come over, the response, "Give me ten minutes for my prayer and I'll be right there, OK?" seems totally normal. When the prayer-call floats out from the mosques, men park their cars by the roadside and line up to pray on the bare earth. As a little girl, I learnt to say, "Insh'Allah," [if God wills] whenever someone proposed a plan for the future - be it something as mundane as a shopping trip or as momentous as a new job opportunity.

Many people assume that religion in the Middle East is all about fundamentalism and is sealed with violence, but this isn't the case. Almost everyone out here believes that God is a real and living presence, so therefore it's rude to ignore Him. The tranquillity and hope that come from such a worldview are infectious. I decided I wanted to learn to see my own faith from this perspective.

I am a practising Catholic. I go to Mass every Sunday. But I also adhere to a number of Muslim traditions - customs I picked up when I was too young to learn that Islam and Christianity aren't one and the same - and I find the Hindu scriptures beautiful and awe-inspiring. Yet, although I accept the Bible's teachings on the afterlife (though I believe the book of Revelations to be richly metaphorical) I try not to think about it much. I am not spiritually enlightened enough to contemplate life after death. I believe that we should focus on the task in hand - trying to make the world a better place - and let God write the next part of the script. Constant theological debate about the afterlife is counterproductive. How can we niggle over who's hellbound and who is going to pass through the pearly gates when we let millions of people die from hunger every year?

A very elderly Catholic cardinal once said that to the well-prepared mind, death is just the next great adventure. If I thought I was going to die within the next five minutes, I would be terrified. On Ash Wednesday the priest muttered to each worshipper, "Remember, man, you are dust, and to dust you shall return." Goose bumps prickled all over me when he said that, because the words were repeated at least a hundred times and the whisper echoed forth from the sound system. But hopefully, by the time I reach that cardinal's age, I won't feel any fear - I'll just be excited about going home. My faith has shaped my life, and I don't think it will let me down after death.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:28 am

I'm not religious myself although I am fascinated in other religions and cultures.

I don't want to get too far in the subject of death because I'm so obsessed in lifes most major mystery. Anyway, I believe in heaven and reincarnation-not hell though. If you've been good you go to heaven, the most beautiful place imaginable and if you've done wrong you can reincarnate and have another chance of life. My opinion does sound rather Buddhist-like and I do agree with a lot of points in that religion but it would be very hard to carry it all out.

When I pass a Church or visit a Cathedral, I feel warmth. Being a Christian must be so accepting, but I don't believe in God. I do admire those who devote their lives to him/her/it though.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:17 pm

I am a practising Christian and have found in many ways, that my faith has helped me to overcome some of my difficulties and has stopped me from becoming depressed.

(please don't anyone be offended by this post it is only my personal view and experience)
When the going gets tough...the tough get going.
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:11 am

I don't think anyone will be offended by that. To each his own.

I detest this question (it makes us sound like ice cream flavours or something similar) but what kind of Christian are you? Do you participate in nationwide events like Soul Survivor? I'm a Catholic, but I still go to some of these ecumenical events. If you do, I may bump into you at one of them!

Madame_Tigre, I understand what you mean. You sound like you are a very spiritual person. You don't necessarily have to be religious to be spiritual - I know lots of people like you. The Bible says of faith, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1). Not everyone is able to trust in what they hope for, especially when it is so intangible. Believing is a terrifying thing at times - although, like Ann-Onymous, I think the benefits of faith far outweigh the dangers.

Everyone has faith in something - be it God or themselves or a personal principle or another human being. You probably have more faith than some priests and pastors, for as Doug McLeod said:

I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:45 pm

Yes, I've always been more spiritual than material.

Having faith is very important -both in yourself and with everyone around you. I dread to think what mental and emotional state we'd all be in without it :roll:
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:22 pm

I used to go to Church every week, but stopped going when I was about 12 (unfortunately there were disputes over who should lead our church :( ). I would still count myself as a Christian, but I wouldn't say that I'm deeply religious or a particularly good one. I try my best though. :)
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:29 pm

Why not try a new church? There must be more than one in your neighbourhood!
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby mattie » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:35 pm

Yeah, I think I'll definitely give it another go. I'll find out which ones are in my area. :D
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby mattie » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:42 pm

There are, no doubt, clubs at uni that I could join as well. :D
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:13 am

I consider myself very religious. I am a Christian (Presbyterian if anyone cares or wants to know). I was baptised Catholic though. My mother is Catholic and my dad is Evangelical so I guess they just wanted to try something new. They moved to our church when I was around 3 or 4. I do not remember my Catholic Church except in pictures and on the outside. I really like Christianity because I like to believe in an afterlife and someone who can take away all of the bad things that we do if we just ask. I believe God can do anything and that God makes everything. I have a LOT of questions about life for Him though. I do not understand a lot of things. I don't go to church every week since I am away at college and I can't drive to my church at home. I sometime go to a church nearby though. I belong to FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes, which lets just about anyone join even if you are not an athlete) and I go to GAIN (a bible study) at school. I don't read the Bible much, but I wish I did. I pray a lot and I believe prayer can do anything. I like to listen to contemporary Christian music like Jars of Clay, Shaun Groves, Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, and Michael W. Smith to name a few. I got into Christianity in high school youth group even though I went to church my whole life.

My first youth pastor, Ben, was a very nice guy 8) and he Brad, and Deb (other leaders) made me feel welcome when I was a shy freshman :oops: (at age 15). I was conned into going by my older sister, Casie, but I ended up going more and more often because of the fellowship. At the end of the year we went on a missions trip to Minnesota and built a house for someone. It was the start of me not becoming shy anymore. When Ben left to get married and become a pastor in Texas, Brad and Deb took over, but I still stayed. I had become more confident and less shy. We went on the trips again, and, though it was different without Ben it was still fun. Two years later, I had grown in Christ a lot more and I met a man named Sam Perkins who was our new youth pastor. Brad and Deb had only been there to fill in. They were just parents of some of the kids. I really liked Sam. Now that I wasn't so shy anymore, he and the group brought me closer to Jesus. That year we did small groups and we could talk about whatever we wanted that might be on our minds. Sometimes we had really in depth discussions and i got to know so many people from the group. We were seniors in our last year of high school so Sam took us on a special trip to Puerto Rico where we helped clean up a camp and visited an orphanage. The other six kids, the adults, and I got really close to eachother, but we also got close to God. I am still active in the college youth group at our church and I still talk to Sam and everyone every once and a while.

In short, I think religion is not only here for the afterlife, but for the life now. Jesus-or whoever you believe in, can help you get through the toughest things. That's what Christianity has done for me. By the way, I have told many people in my youth group about my dyspraxia. They were some of the first people I told and they are some of the best listeners on the planet. They seem to understand me.

Shanna 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:53 am

That makes sense. Truly spiritual people know how to listen from the heart. They understand that what they are being asked to hear isn't always what's being said.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:54 am

By the way, I think you might all be interested in this excellent website:

www.beliefnet.com

It caters for every faith imaginable, with message boards, debate forums, articles by leading scholars, quizzes...
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby mattie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:51 pm

It really annoys me when people blame religion for wars, violence and social problems. All of these are man-made and are caused by human beings, not religion. If religion didn't exist, the world would still be violent.

As for the Islamic and other faiths - I think it is wrong to think that every Muslim etc. is a fundamentalist. The vast majority are peace loving people.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:43 pm

I agree. I know some people who practice that religion. I do not think that they should be blamed for violence when every culture pretty much is a little bit violent. None of us is perfect!!

Shanna 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat