Dyspraxic Friendly Stationery Shopping

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Dyspraxic Friendly Stationery Shopping

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:51 pm

Hi!!!

I've been doing some stationery shopping for the oncoming school term and these are some interesting discoveries I made.

1) You can get envelope files which are hole-punched to put into your work file (if you keep a work file.) You can get them in different colours so that you can colour code them for each subject as well as labeling them so that you can pick them out in a hurry. You put your papers in the envelope file and the envelope file in your hoop or lever arch file. That way there is no danger of being drowned in an avalanche of papers and everything is easy to find. I would recommend buying the ones that are slightly wider than A4 size because they hold more and it is easier to slip sheets in and out of them.

2) You can get maths equipment sets (eg protractor, set squares and ruler) a little larger than the standard size. They may be slightly easier for you to use.

3) You can get compasses (the ones that draw circles) with slightly thicker arms and a nice thick, chunky grip handle to make it easier to manouver.

4) You can get paper pads that are non tear at the sides but have a dashed line (which tears naturally) and after that hole punches that you can tear along. That way you can keep loose pieces of paper safely in a notebook and tear them out neatly when you need to hand them in or file them.

5) Blocks of post it notes in different colours, you can stick them onto your file or onto the inside of your desk as they peel off without a trace. You can colour code them for days of the week as well as dating them if you find it difficult to write at speed or rember dates, so you know which book/homework/extra lesson/task/piece of kit to remember which day. (You can also get a set of different coloured page marker strips which could be useful for finding pages in textbooks that have been studied in the lesson and are relevant for homework. Again, these peel of without a trace like post it notes.)

6) Plastic hoop and lever arch files (though it is probably easier to stick to hoops as they are easier to use unless you have a phenominal amount to carry) plastic takes much more wear and tear than cardboard and is water proof and hard to rip.

7) Thick ink erasers (the double ended ones with a 'felt tip' that erases ink on one end and a special pen for writing over your mistake on the other end) the point of the eraser is at the same thickness, but the part that you hold is chunkier and will make it easier for you to erase only the word you want to erase.

8) And of course, a must for better hand writing, those good old triangular grip pens.

I found all of these particular items at my local W H Smiths, but you could probably find them at other stationery shops. These well designed products save you having to get specially manufactured school equipment from a far away store. Other items I have seen, but not recently include:

9) Calculators with chunkier-(overused word I know) buttons so that if you are typing in a set of numbers as a teacher says them you are less likely to miss.

10) Rubber or plastic hoops (sometimes triangular) that you can put onto your pencils to make them easier to grip. (These, if you can find them, may be useful for sketching in art when you are using a pencil and need more pencil control.

I hope this list of personal discoveries will be helpful to some of you. [/list]
When the going gets tough...the tough get going.
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Postby madame_tigre » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:52 pm

They are all really good, helpful ideas but I wish there was some friendlier selotape around!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby ~Jenny~ » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:53 pm

i'm not sure what you personally find difficult about sellotape but i find if you get a sellotape holder thing it's easier cause you can put the holder down on what you're trying to sellotape to hold it in place and cut the sellotape at the same time, but that might not be helpful to you at all :roll:
~Jenny~
Forum Master

What is Sellotape?

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:08 pm

Sorry..this may seem like a dumb question but-I've never heard of Sellotape.. Is that the right name? Anyway, they don't have it here in America I don't think because I've never heard of it. But I would like to know what it is.. :?

Fellow American,
Shanna
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:34 am

Jenny-Thanks for your advice, I will try that. My problem with sellotape is that I often lose grip on it and it scrunchies itself up so I can no longer use it.

Hermionefan5- I'm not the best at explaining things but here goes - sellotape is used to stick two things together e.g paper onto cardboard. This does sound like glue but it's different. Sellotape is round and sticky and looks a bit like paper although it's see-through. You can use scissors or your teeth to get some off. I hope what I'm saying is making some sense to you and maybe you do have it in America but it's just under a different name.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:51 pm

I think Americans call it Scotch tape.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:35 pm

Sellotapes in holders are good! You can get mini pencil case sized ones with holders that have a jagged edge that you simply rest the piece of tape on and tug if you find manovering scissors difficult.
When the going gets tough...the tough get going.
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:29 pm

I can't even manipulate those. Grrrr....

However, nearly ll my stationery is dyspraxic-friendly. Over the years I have learnt what works and what doesn't. My special needs teacher once took me to Office World so we could look for suitable items. The shopkeepers must have thought we were mad, trying out the catches and clasps on every bag or file!
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat