Switch to full style
Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.
Post a reply

Talking in circles

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:02 pm

I was just wondering if talking "in circles" is known to anybody here.
When I'm feeling upset, I very often talk in circles- I go about the thing that upsets me over and over again. I was told by my family to refrain from doing so, but I just can't help it. It's like a switch in my head being turned on. :? and, to be honest, I find it quite comforting. I like to explain things and when I'm doing it in a repetitive manner, it makes me feel less anxious.
Any ideas, thoughts or comments on that?

Re: Talking in circles

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:23 pm

I sometimes get told that I also do this.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:42 pm

thanks for your reply! :) I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:05 pm

I do that aswell, especially if im explaining something quite complicated.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:21 pm

I do that as well, and recognise it in my BF, who may well be on the spectrum. My theory though is if you talk about it and are open about how you feel, and let people know its still on your mind, it is much better than bottling it up and getting randomly frustrated at people. Though combined with short term memory issues I will often talk about it and people will say that I have already said something 3 times....and they might look at me funny and I honestly don't remember saying it so repeat myself!

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:54 am

I often say situations or things I need to do over and over.

It does help me calm down.

Or if I have done somethings I will just keep telling myself how I could have done i right. All my friends say I just forget about it and move on, but if I keep thinking about next time I won't make that mistake. :D

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:26 am

I talk in circles quite alot when I start on a topic I can't get off. The other day I was talking about saltfish and ackee with a priest at my school and couldnt get off the line "My mum had afrocarabean neighbors and friends at school who used to feed her alot" lol it was quite embarasing but atleast he eventually interupted and changed the subject!
Post a reply