Social ineptness

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:39 am

Oh, okay thanks. This may seem like a dumb question but, do you mean the San Antonio Spurs Basketball team?
8)
Shanna K. :D :) :wink:
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:43 am

Nope. The one and only Tottenham Hotspurs. They're a soccer team (football to us Brits). :D :) :lol:
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:00 am

Ahh, how I love the international element!
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby mattie » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:44 pm

I've been a bit pissed off today. The fact that I've only been out once in the last three weeks probably doesn't help - and even that wasn't a social outing.

I feel really drained, and so lacking in energy that even typing this is an effort! As a result, I've been oversleeping a lot even though I haven't really done anything that can really explain my fatigue.

What is even stranger is that I can also be hyperactive. My parents and sister always tell me that I always seem to pace up and down, even during tv, and find it very difficult to keep still. Even when I'm talking I find it very difficult to stand still. I'm not sure why, as I never used to be like this.

Life just seems really dull and monotonous. If anything there seems to be a lot more stress, pain and hard work than enjoyment and fun. Am I the only one who has noticed this, or is it simply because I'm a boring and dull person who should get off his backside and do something about it? The problem is that I've already tried many times and it has always gone badly wrong (I won't go into embarrassing examples). The fact is that I always have said or done the wrong thing in any social situation, and so now I often think that it's best if I just avoid them altogether.

Even my parents seem to moan all the time now. Every time I wake up I can hear them moaning and this just depresses me more. They always moan about the same things as well which just makes it even worse - and often for several hours a day. I'm not going to blame my own problems on them, though, because I know my problems are my own fault. They are incredibly supportive and are the best parents that anyone could have.

I suppose that's my rant other with. I can't say that I feel that much better though. I'll try to sleep it off.

Sorry about my rants.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:22 am

Mattie, your problems aren't your fault at all. You can't help the way your brain was made. You were born dyspraxic.

However, the problems are your responsibility. Anyone with dyspraxia has to try their best to overcome its challenges. Have you considered going to your doctor to ask for a referral to a speech and language therapist? I had a couple of sessions of language therapy to help me understand hidden agendas in conversations and things like that. It was very effective. If you join the Dyspraxia Foundation, they will be able to offer you advice too - their adult support group is very good. There are regional branches that host get-togethers for people with social differences. You might like to go along.
parnassus
Site Admin

hi

Postby SomeT » Sun May 01, 2005 11:58 am

I have had these same social problems to and I am 20 years old this month, I am starting to find now the best thing to do is copy other peoples body language and try my best not to worry or say something stupid, I am not like my friends to in a way because they can get with girls a lot eaiser to what I can and they are more outgoing etc but these are things I am trying hard to leanr how to do properly, the best thing is to stay postitive because at the end of the day there are people out there who are probably a lot worse off than you. (<----I do not mean that part to sound bad or anything.)
SomeT
Power Poster

Postby parnassus » Sun May 01, 2005 7:58 pm

I will keep praying for you, Mattie. Let us know how things go.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Helen » Sun May 01, 2005 11:31 pm

Hello Mattie,
Please do not apologise for ranting, because that's exactly why we set up these forums - so members could say what they feel and never ever be judged.
I am very concerned for the way you are feeling. Some of the symptoms you describe are typical of depression. There is no shame in how you feel, please never think that, but I do believe that you should speak to someone who is in a position to help you. If you are able to over come your fears of putting yourself into social situations then you will begin to feel better. Have you thought about seeing your GP? As Vicky says, the fact you have dyspraxia is not your fault and nor is the affect it has on you, but how you chose to deal with it is your responsibility. You can take control Mattie and make life better, so you can wake up in the morning feeling positive and happy.

Take care,
Helen
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby mattie » Wed May 04, 2005 7:19 pm

On a more positive note, I'm going on Arcadia, a new luxury cruise liner, in 4 weeks time. I'm only going for 4 days but it should be really good. I intend to really enjoy myself, and plus it'll give me the chance to get out which is something that I haven't done for a long while. :D :)

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed May 04, 2005 9:09 pm

Cool. Sounds like fun!! Have a good time 8) :) :D :P :D 8) :)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Wed May 04, 2005 11:36 pm

Cool. Sounds like fun!! Have a good time

Thanks. :D :) :D

Mattie
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby madame_tigre » Fri May 06, 2005 4:23 pm

Enjoy yourself! :)
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Sat May 07, 2005 12:00 am

Thank you.

Despite the fact that my holiday is less than 4 weeks away, I'm still on a bit of a downer (actually depressed is probably a more accurate description). I've been averaging about 11-15 hours sleep a day, and yet, I still feel tired. How strange is that?

I've suffered from feelings of depression for the past 10 years or so. I suppose it has arisen from the fact that I've always lived a dull, boring and rather disappointing existence. This has probably been caused, at least in part, by social isolation. I suppose a lot of other people around the world feel the same though. Afterall, according to statistics most people suffer from depression at some point in their lifetime. I'm not really any different from anyone else. Life is tough and everyone has to go through bad periods at some stage.

I don't think my parents have ever been aware of how I have felt because I've never told them. I used to be a really happy and lively child until the age of about 13. Since then, I've changed a lot. Obviously during the past 10 years I've had times were I've felt better, and periods where I felt a lot worse. I went through a stage, a couple of years ago, when I had suicidal thoughts (usually several times a day) but I never went ahead with them. I still do have such thoughts, but probably not quite as often as I used to. I don't think I could put my family through it anyway.

I haven't really discussed how I feel with anyone before. I suppose I shouldn't really be posting this on a website. I know I get fed up when I hear people whinging. I'll try to be a bit more light-hearted on here in future!

Mattie.
Last edited by mattie on Sat May 07, 2005 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby mattie » Sat May 07, 2005 12:04 am

Readng through the above has made me realise how sad I am!!!

Oh well, I suppose I need this holiday. :)

Matt.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby alexlaird87 » Sat May 07, 2005 1:03 am

hay, don't worry your not the only one. i am always going from one mood to another, and sometimes im down for quite a while. i suppose we should really talk about our problems more, but its tough cos theres not many people who can really understand our situation.

to tell you the truth ive been quite badly depressed a few times, mainly because i felt that i hadn't acheved the things in my life that all my peirs had. i used to have daydreams of suicide all the time, but i never told anyone about it. mostly because i prefer to keep my emotions inside, and don't like expering my self much. the thought of other people knowing what i'm thinking makes me feel very uncomforable.

is this normal teenager stuff or is it just me?
alexlaird87
Forum Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat