Question for Shanna

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Question for Shanna

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:00 am

Hey Shanna!

I note that you live in the United States of America.

Currently, the USA has no equivalent to Britain's Dyspraxia Foundation or New Zealand's Dyspraxia Association. I have never met an American (apart from you, of course!) who knows what dyspraxia is. When I described my symptoms to an American teacher, she said, "Oh! You mean Non-Verbal Learning Disability!" which, according to my psychologist, is a different thing.

Other American labels for dyspraxia include Right Hemispheric Learning Disorder and Visuo-Perceptual Motor Learning Disorder. So I'm wondering how you got the label 'dyspraxia' in the USA. Is this diagnosis becoming more common over there? Are there quite a few students in your school who are diagnosed as dyspraxic?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:52 pm

Well, here dyspraxia considered a nonverbal learning disability, according to my mother who was the one who learned all about it from the psychiatrist i used to go to. I do not know anyone else in the US who has the disorder. :( That is why I like this website so much. Anyway, I just got diagnosed with it a little while ago and I do not know much. Here, the LD teachers are not allowed to tell the students of other students' disabilities so there is a possibility that someone else at my school may have it, but I probably will never know. :cry: I think people are starting to know more about it because there is a new book out here called Quirky Kids. I don't know who the author is, but my mom went to a conference here at school on it. Apparently it is about dyspraxic kids, which are called non-verbal learning disability kids here still. When I mention the name dyspraxia, no one seems to know what it is, but I think they will start to know soon. It's not even in my Psychology book, which makes me very upset! :(

Shanna K.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:04 pm

Don't worry - it's not in my psychology book either. Dyslexia, AD/HD, and autism are all mentioned. Dyspraxia is the 'baby' disorder. But awareness is growing.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat