Panic attack

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby parnassus » Sat May 07, 2005 9:09 pm

According to my occupational therapist, dyspraxic people have oversensitive vestibular systems, which means that noise, touch, taste, and smell can all be torturous experiences. I dislike travelling by train, for example, because railway stations reek of cigarette smoke and usually echo so badly. Then your brain is ripped apart by the roar of oncoming trains! It makes me cry, and then I feel ashamed. I don't like crying in public places.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby medrich11 » Sun May 08, 2005 8:39 am

I can understand that. The places I realy hate the most are arcades though, they just tear my head in two by the noise of the dance machines, the feel of the coins, and the smell and taste of cigarette smoke. Just walking or even driving past them makes me feel sick to m y stomach.
I can understand the train station as well.
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Sun May 08, 2005 9:22 am

Vicky, I'm glad you've recovered after your panic attack and I hope you don't get any more after you've tried so hard not to get them.

I've never had a severe panic attack but when I'm in a noisy and crowded atmosphere I do get very panicky. I'm getting fed up of college at the moment because they still haven't found me a work placement, but I still have to come in to college with poo all to do and I have to get up early and play human dodgeball every day to get to college. If I was at work I'd get over the crowds quicker.

Also, there was this other time at college this week where a group of people were laughing really loud. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of laughter-it's a sign of happiness, but when it's so loud that it feels like a tidal wave trying to drown me and I don't even know what's so funny, it doesn't encourage me to join in!

I hate buses but when I sit downstairs reading, it feels slightly safer and quieter and I'm less likely to get a headache.

Anyway, excuse my rant-I've been in a bad mood all week.

:x
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun May 08, 2005 4:32 pm

I really hope you feel better this week, Madame Tigre! :D Glad to see you have recovered, Vicky!
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby monkey » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:29 am

hey im sorry to here about your trubles, i have problems in the area of panic attacks aswell i have only had 2 this year which has been great! (there was a time when i was getting them every week) am learning how to get control. but when it happends i have trouble breathing and get flashes arouuse my vision, my brain goes clody and i just feel this deep consuming fear tieing itself around me the more people around the more paniced i get evently i compleatly freeze up and get traped init often hyopoventalating (wich is very dificult to regiain control in contery to what some people belive). i try and leave a situation befor things go to far down hill but some tiems in my own stupididty stick around. i supose the idea is to leave when you need to and avoid situations that might be to stressful, with out avoiding things that although they may be a challenge you are capable of. the hard bit is knowing where that line is as it changes acording to your stress levels and all that. as it is after being around people for more than a few hours (though this can be sooner depending on who) i end up with stomic cramps from the stress involved and if it continues ill get sick. the ting that alot of peple dont get is that perople are very scary, the sycologest i see each week always wants to know a spacific reason for paniking in a croud... i tell her there were lots of people. she whants to knwo what made me panik about the people, so i tell her there were lots of them. at which point i think she starts to get exasperated with me. (she doesnt seem to know anything about dyspraxia, which is unfortunet that Dyspraxia is such an unknown condition)
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby bibliophile » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:15 pm

I'm glad you're feeling better vicky Ecooy rooms and strip lighing sends me into bad migranes and vomiting and trouble breathing for several terms this would happen weekely because of one of the rooms i had geograpphy in! The school did not realise but eventually this term becausew it was lighter when i had my lesson they did not have the light onit was not so bad we realised it was the lights theve dealt with it now though
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat