useful tips for everyday problems?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

useful tips for everyday problems?

Postby alexlaird87 » Tue May 03, 2005 12:55 pm

hi, i was lieing in beed last night and i had an idea. i want to start this conversation for people to post solutions they have found to the everyday problems that confront those affected be dyspraxia.

it does not matter how big or small the problem you've beaten, and i hope that once there is a large enough number of post's we could e-mail matt to put them on his site* as advice to people who are newly diagnosed.

( * http://www.matts-hideout.co.uk/dyspraxi ... raxia5.htm )

well? who wants to go first?
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed May 04, 2005 1:45 am

Hmm...Tips...Tips....Hmmm....Uh...

lost my train of thought. I had one. Um. I will talk again later when I find out. Too many distractions in this room now. Good idea though.
:D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Matt » Thu May 05, 2005 8:13 am

Moved this topic to here. Great idea though! :D I look forward to reading your tips!
Matt
Site Admin

Location: Milton Keynes, England, Europe, Earth. You may have heard of it....

Postby alexlaird87 » Fri May 06, 2005 7:37 pm

thanx matt,

ok i'll start...

i've all ready said this on another post somewhere, but if you have trouble with lase-up shoes, and velcro isn't your thing, then try wearing slip on shoes. they are comfortable, look good and cut out alot of re-lasing.
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:35 pm

Colorful pens and markers for writing down notes in different subjects.
Example: Blue for Biology notes, Purple for Psych or something.

Also colored notebooks and folders keep you from grabbing the wrong one as I often did before having them. You can also decorate them with pictures of your favorite things. One of my binders stands out because it has Johnny Depp and Pirate movie pictures on it, the other one has Mulan pictures on it. That way I can say, OH I have to grab my Johnny Depp folder today so I take that one instead of the Mulan one. 8)

Small tape voice recorders are good for notes as long as the teacher lets you have them. I use them all the time and you can play back your lectures and get down anything you missed writing if you are a slow writer like me or prefer to write on the computer and you don't have one in class. My teacher, Mr. Hallahan, interduced taping notes to me in 8th grade when I was still testing for my learning disability. He personally recorded himself reading the textbook out loud so I did not have to take so long reading it. :) He gave me the cassettes to take home. He is one of the best teachers I ever had. 8)

That's it for now, I have more I know... :wink:
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby alexlaird87 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:52 pm

great stuff, i personaly think that colour coding would be useful for my work.

anyone else?
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby alexlaird87 » Sat May 07, 2005 7:08 pm

anyone?
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Sat May 07, 2005 7:47 pm

If you have difficulties with handwriting and can't manage to get hold of a computer or Alphasmart, choose special pens that are moulded to fit the shape of your hand. (Available from the Dyspraxia Foundation, the Dyscovery Centre, and even some branches of W. H. Smith's.) Write on every other line to make things clearer. Use paper with slightly raised lines to help you keep your writing level - this can also be bought at www.dyscovery.co.uk
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun May 08, 2005 4:50 pm

More stuff. If you get tired of studying after awhile, take short breaks and listen to cds or go outside and walk around. It really gets your blood flowing and your brain gets a break so you can remember more. Also, use an assignment book or digital organizer for planning events. Check them off as you get them done and put them in order of which is most important. 8) Sleep is also important for studying for everyone so at least get around 7 hours. It helps you remember things, trust me, I know. When you are sad, it sometimes helps to listen to a good song or watch a funny show like Friends or a funny movie to cheer you up. For communication, I found interacting with people is a good step to learning how to communicate effectively. Or, my psychologist suggested that I watch a sitcom, i.e. Full House (that was my favorite show as a kid) with the sound off. Watch with your mom or dad or someone who knows a lot about communication and watch the actors' actions on the show. Observe how close they stand and how they interact with others in situations. If someone is sad, how do they react? If someone is angry, same thing. Discuss with the person you watch with and then practice the situation. Practicing at home can help you get better when you are in the real situation. 8)
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby alexlaird87 » Thu May 12, 2005 11:22 am

Great stuff!!!

last september i found out i was going to have to resit some of my exams from last year. i could not remeamber alot of it, so i asked my teracher for help. he told me that the first year group where just starting the subject i needed to revise and i decided to "sit in" on the lesson during my "free" periods.

i found it very useful, and would advise others in this situation to try this.
Remember, there nothing wrong with asking for help.

anyone else?
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby alexlaird87 » Sun May 15, 2005 9:51 am

someone? anyone.
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby alexlaird87 » Sun May 22, 2005 10:45 am

come on, SOMEONE? ANYONE!!?!
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Mon May 23, 2005 5:31 pm

I've already put all my best tips in my book. Typing them all out again would give me RSI! I'll write a few more when I think of them.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby alexlaird87 » Mon May 23, 2005 6:06 pm

kool, thanx parnassus
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat