Switch to full style
Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.
Post a reply

voice to text ?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:41 pm

has anyone used any voice to text software before i personal struggle with wrighting and have a few up and comeing projects which require a lot of it i also have a speech inpedament which makes the software harder to use but after resurch iv found one ill b able to use any input would be cool cheers :D

Re: voice to text ?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 pm

I tried it years ago, and it wasn't very goo. I got it again now when I went to uni, but I haven't used it since my headphones/mic thing stopped working. It was o.k, but needs to be used a lot to get it to work well. which I didn't do.

Not too sure about with speech impediments though.

I think if you're willing to put the time in on it, you should try to use it and see how it goes.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Personally I have never tried them, but I know someone who has and she said it quite good.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 pm

I did use one once about 5 years ago, it wasn't that good. I have used one in recent times and the technology has improved greatly and you can train the computer to know your voice-however I am not sure how having a speech impediment will affect it, I do have a slight speech problem and the software does get confused sometimes with what I say. The best way is to give it a go yourself and see what happens, if not then maybe in the next 5 years the technology will move on again and become even better.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:46 pm

I have software that reads text to me that was provided by university.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:22 pm

MontyDyspraxia wrote:I have software that reads text to me that was provided by university.

How do you find it?

I used to have it at college, but I didn't get on with it so i didn't use it.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:24 pm

I have Dragon Naturally Speaking which I've found pretty accurate and it only took me about 10 minutes to train it. You do have to speak all the paragraph breaks, full stops, grammer e.t.c. which can make it slower than speaking normally. I'm not sure what it's like with speech impairments but the person who did my DSA training recently said the technology has moved on significantly in the last few years. It's also possible to get it to transcribe from a dictaphone if you're not near a computer. :)
Post a reply