My Story of Dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Whats your fave chocolate

Poll ended at Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:46 pm

cadburys
55%
Galaxy
45%
Bournville
No votes

Total votes : 11

Postby Katielauren2001 » Thu May 26, 2005 2:59 pm

Tommorow I'm going to a guide camp, hopefullyI'l l have lots of fun,and we are doing lots of stuff likelearning to indian dance ,tie -dying t-shirts so cool .But what I'm worried about is going to my school outing next year we will be absailing and much more .I don't know If I could manage as my coordination is very poor.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby madame_tigre » Fri May 27, 2005 9:39 am

Have fun on Guide Camp KatieLauren. Indian Dancing sounds very interesting! I hope you tell us about it when you get back :)
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Sun May 29, 2005 7:40 pm

madame-tigre the camp was really fun ,the food was quite good ,we did arts and crafts and we did an obstacle course .We learnt indian dancing and got henna tattatoos .I came back to day at 5'oclock ,the camp was fun,fun,fun.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 pm

That is really great that you had so much fun!! I loved going to Girl Scout camp (what it is called here-I don't know why everything is called something different here in America)!!!! :D

Soccer should be football
American Football should be handball.
We should use the metric system because it makes more sense.
Theater and theatre (what's the diff??) I want to know.
What is the difference btwn Film and Movie??
These are questions I want answered....I guess there is no real difference except the spelling or the word...strange how two cultures can change the exact same language... :?
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby alexlaird87 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:30 pm

Winston Churchill once said "England and America are two countries divided by a common language"
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:08 am

I'm glad you enjoyed Guide Camp KatieLauren! At Scout Camp we did walking, abseiling -which I had a go at but was scared and couldn't get over the edge, swimming, a trip to Alton Towers and a bike ride. During the evenings, we played wide games which involved running around in the woods. I also don't think the food was that bad considering I'm such a fussy eater. I enjoyed the camp, but I'm glad to be back home!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:25 pm

For some reason, the American Girl Scouts didn't want to take the name originally proposed by Lady Baden-Powell. I suspect it was because the Guide Movement took off during the heyday of the British Empire and there were Guides in every colony. The Americans, by virtue of their independence, decided a different name would be better.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:39 pm

parnassus wrote:For some reason, the American Girl Scouts didn't want to take the name originally proposed by Lady Baden-Powell. I suspect it was because the Guide Movement took off during the heyday of the British Empire and there were Guides in every colony. The Americans, by virtue of their independence, decided a different name would be better.

I guess so. I was always taught in scouts that Juliette Lowe was the founder of American Girl Scouts. I have never heard of Lady Baden-Powell, unfortunately. Girl Scouts officially started in the US in 1912, I believe. Much later than the American Revolution. 8)

Resident Yankee,
Shanna K. Simpson
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:58 pm

The Girl Guides were established in 1910 by Lord and Lady Baden-Powell, following the phenomenal success of their Boy Scout movement. The idea quickly spread to other countries, and there are now Guides and Scouts in almost every country in the world. Lord Baden-Powell was the World Chief Scout and Lady Baden-Powell the World Chief Guide. They travelled everywhere, meeting world leaders (including the Pope) as well as the millions of young people they had galvanised. The USA was offered the opportunity to become affiliated with the movement, but it declined. I know this happened way after the American Revolution, but at the time Britain still ruled a quarter of the globe, and that naturally made many average Americans feel a little bit threatened. Nowadays, there is a link between the Girl Guiding and the Girl Scouting movements. (www.wagggsworld.org) Every year Guides and Boy Scouts all over the world have Thinking Day (held on 22nd February, chosen because it was the joint birthday of Lord and Lady B-P). I used to love attending the Thinking Day parties, knowing that Guides and Scouts everywhere were doing the same thing. I once read that American Girl Scouts do join in with Thinking Day. Is this true?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:15 pm

Yes, we do do thinking day. I am not a girl scout anymore, as I am in college and after you graduate high school (age 18 or 19, normally), you are not allowed to be a girl scout anymore. :? I was not a girl scout since 8th grade (age 13-14) because one of the girls in my troop wanted to quit and then her mom didn't want to be the leader anymore. :( Neither did my mom, because my mom wanted to go back to teaching kindergarten. So our troop ended up splitting up because we didn't have a leader. :( I wasn't in scouts after that, but I still enjoy eating the Girl Scout cookies they sell each year. I especially love Tagalongs and Samoas!! Tagalongs are peanut butter patties with chocolate on top and Samoas have coconut in them with chocolate!!! I love chocolate!! MMMM! 8) Do the Girl Guides also sell cookies? Boy scouts sell popcorn here and it tastes really good. Do the Boy Scouts sell popcorn in Great Britain?
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat