Reading

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Who's your fave author?

Poll ended at Wed May 25, 2005 3:42 pm

Jacqueline Wilson
17%
Roald Dahl
17%
Enid Blyton
No votes
Micheal Morpugo
No votes
Other
67%

Total votes : 6

Reading

Postby Katielauren2001 » Fri May 20, 2005 3:42 pm

Many of us that have dyspraxia can read well ,and love books,thats like me if your not good at reading you'll be good at something else ,everybody is good at something even though you might have dyspraxia learning can be fun,for us all .My fave author is Jacqueline Wilson ,what is yours? pick in the poll up above.
Last edited by Katielauren2001 on Mon May 23, 2005 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri May 20, 2005 4:18 pm

I used to love Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl when I was younger. I still tenderly care for my extensive collection of their works! Michael Morpugo's Waiting for Anya is one of the best books I have ever come across - I still get a hot lump in my throat whenever I read it.

But I've never been able to choose a favourite author. Anne Frank, Rudyard Kipling, L.M. Montgomery, Jane Austen, P.G. Wodehouse...I just wouldn't know where to start!
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat May 21, 2005 5:10 am

I really like Roald Dahl's books, however, my favorite, as you know are Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook) and JK Rowling (I don't have to explain her fame) :lol: .
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Sat May 21, 2005 8:04 am

I really couldn't choose a favourite author. I love books and it's like choosing a favourite child!

I have enjoyed books by all the authors mentioned on the poll. I suppose that when I was younger, Jacqueline Wilson was my favourite author, but I can't choose now! :)
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Sat May 21, 2005 10:49 am

parnassus wrote:I used to love Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl when I was younger. I still tenderly care for my extensive collection of their works! Michael Morpugo's Waiting for Anya is one of the best books I have ever come across - I still get a hot lump in my throat whenever I read it.

But I've never been able to choose a favourite author. Anne Frank, Rudyard Kipling, L.M. Montgomery, Jane Austen, P.G. Wodehouse...I just wouldn't know where to start!

Anne Frank is really good!
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby C » Sat May 21, 2005 1:50 pm

I used to love Roald Dahl when I was younger. 'Matilda' is such a fantastic book. Enid Blyton was probably my favourite author when I was a little girl though, I used to devour her books. I like Jacqueline Wilson as well, love the way she tackels some really bleak issues with sensitivity and humour and her stories aren't all 'once upon a time' and happy endings just because they are written for children.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sat May 21, 2005 9:12 pm

I know - I still cry for her whenever I read The Diary of a Young Girl. The fact that a group of people would wish her dead is inconceivable to me. I am friends with a lady who survived the Holocaust, and she knew Anne and Margot Frank - she was Margot's best friend. She has told me many things about the Frank sisters' lives that aren't in the diary. A bottomless despair fills me whenever I read Anne's glittering prose or think about Margot's lost diaries. Such a terrible, terrible waste...
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Sun May 22, 2005 7:49 am

Anne Frank is amazing and I always shiver whenever I read, watch or hear what happened to the Frank family and all the other people who died in those camps.

Isn't the 'Diary of Anne Frank' supposed to be the second best-selling book ever, after the Bible? If it is, then Anne totally deserves it. If only she knew that she acheived her dream of becoming a writer. It's a real shame that Margot's diaries are lost.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon May 23, 2005 2:49 pm

I agree. I have read Anne's play and it just makes me so sad to think that any child should have to die like that. :cry: Adolph Hitler was such an evil man. That is an understatement, actually!! :(
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Mon May 23, 2005 3:13 pm

Hermionefan5 wrote:I agree. I have read Anne's play and it just makes me so sad to think that any child should have to die like that. :cry: Adolph Hitler was such an evil man. That is an understatement, actually!! :(

Yes Anne Frank was so brave and I think Adolf Hitler was so cruel :cry: :cry: reading the book made me feel so sad. :(
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Mon May 23, 2005 5:28 pm

Has any of you read the book based on the memories of Anne Frank's best friend? In England it is called Hannah Goslar Remembers, in America it's Memories of Anne Frank. It was written by Alison Leslie Gold, in conjunction with Hannah Goslar.[/i]
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Tue May 24, 2005 8:16 am

I'll have to look out for that one!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby tujunga » Wed May 25, 2005 9:46 pm

I picked up Ann Frank's Diary when I was about 10 and found it a hard read so I left it for a year or two.

When i got back to reading it Oh my god. It is brilliant. I can't believe so many people died because of one man and because of war.

To be honest I think Man-kind as a race is stupid and childish.
Since the dawn of time we have fought with other people because they were different (religion, skin colour, race, beliefs etc.)

you would really think that after millions and millions of people have lost their lifes, we would get the message. It doesn't matter. War and fighting are not the answer.

but no we kept making the same mistakes that man-kind have been making for 100's of years.

In my opinion we should grow up and understand the price and worth a human life holds.
tujunga
Super Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu May 26, 2005 2:06 am

tujunga wrote:When i got back to reading it Oh my god. It is brilliant. I can't believe so many people died because of one man and because of war.

To be honest I think Man-kind as a race is stupid and childish.
Since the dawn of time we have fought with other people because they were different (religion, skin colour, race, beliefs etc.)

you would really think that after millions and millions of people have lost their lifes, we would get the message. It doesn't matter. War and fighting are not the answer.

but no we kept making the same mistakes that man-kind have been making for 100's of years.

In my opinion we should grow up and understand the price and worth a human life holds.

Yeah, I agree. :cry: :( sad, but true. :( :cry:
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Thu May 26, 2005 8:21 am

I still can't believe so many people were brainwashed by Hitler and why there are still evil people living in this World today. Hasn't History taught them anything?
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat