handwriting

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

handwriting

Postby daniel lines » Wed May 25, 2005 6:52 pm

my hand writing is horrible but i cant help it :? so i have to go around school with a prompt (a handwriting rule card) but i still think one or two teachers still dont know that i have dyspraxia :evil:
daniel lines

Postby alexlaird87 » Wed May 25, 2005 8:40 pm

don't get me started on handwriting, mine's terrible. when people talk to me the sometimes coment how advanced my vocabulary is, then i write somthing it's just unreadable srawl. someone once though that my little brother had writen in my college books, and it was very embarising tring to convince them it was mine.
as far as dyspraxia is concerned, i never gave it a second though after i was diagnosed till i found this site at the end of april.
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu May 26, 2005 2:08 am

YEah, my handwriting, as well as my organization of time/desk is not too great. My roomie gets upset at my organization sometimes. :?
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Thu May 26, 2005 8:13 am

My handwriting isn't the worst in the World, but it's no way near the best. I try to type things up as much as I can to get work done quicker.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Thu May 26, 2005 3:11 pm

Mine is actually quite good even though I can't hold my pencil properly ,but for some reason I still use an Alphasmart on Monday's when we write our diaries.My handwriting used to be too small but now it's a good ,I tried to use a thing on the top of my pencil ,but people kept stealing it and using it as a rubber,and my writing is so much better and I have learnt that I don't need any help anymore.
Last edited by Katielauren2001 on Thu May 26, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby C » Thu May 26, 2005 3:13 pm

I hate my handwriting! It starts off okay but gets messier and messier as I get tired.

I actually write very, very quickly; unusual for someone with dyspraxia. It's just I have so many thought in my head and I think I'll forget them if I don't write them down as quickly as possible, lol. I write quickly when copying off the board as well though, don't know why, really. I also grip my pen really tightly, which even makes my fingers sweat and feel sore, lol.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Thu May 26, 2005 3:16 pm

C wrote:I hate my handwriting! It starts off okay but gets messier and messier as I get tired.

I actually write very, very quickly; unusual for someone with dyspraxia. It's just I have so many thought in my head and I think I'll forget them if I don't write them down as quickly as possible, lol. I write quickly when copying off the board as well though, don't know why, really. I also grip my pen really tightly, which even makes my fingers sweat and feel sore, lol.

I used to write very quick ,but now I don't go as fast.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Phil » Thu May 26, 2005 4:21 pm

My handwrtiing was not the best at school... In secondary school a teacher picked up something was not quite right about my handwriting as she went to my form tutor who was in the same department as her.

In primary school and junior school it was not always neat.
Phil
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Fri May 27, 2005 9:12 am

I write neatly, but unbearably slowly, averaging fourteen words per minute. I press so hard that the pen sometimes tears the paper. It is a real fight to control the pen and my wrist ends up cramped, my fingers blistered. I love to keep handwritten diaries (they feel more personal that way) but I have to devote several hours to them each week in order to keep them up to date. I use a computer for all homework assignments and I'm using a laptop for my A-Level examinations.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

hand writing 2 my own comment

Postby daniel lines » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:48 pm

i liked the replys i got back i too have similar problems to alot of people (its a good job none of you can see my first year of school handwriting book shock horror) :oops:

p.s.
what is a Alphasmart ?????????????
daniel lines

Postby alexlaird87 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:38 pm

it's like a small palmtop computer/Electronic note pad thing.
have a look on google
alexlaird87
Forum Master

yeh i have a big prob with handwriting

Postby lyd » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:51 pm

hey,
i'm in yr 10 and my teachers are just begining to find out what dyspraxia is-bit late i know!!!
i have got all the crosses and 'please see me's' in my exercise books that its hard to see my writing over it!!!
at parents meetings teachers have always said to me and my parent that i should improve the presentation of my work... thats a bit hard dont you think!?!
i've tried all the pencil grips and lined paper but it just doesnt do anything. it doesnt mean my writing isnt always readable, but i if it is i have to spend loads of time on it, time i dont have in school!!!
and when your trying to copy something off the black board (or new computer board thingy) and your trying to look up to what is actually being written, while you have people constantly chatting and trying to get your attention, it's kinda hard to make your handwriting presentable to the teacher.
i have always hated school, for many reasons being that i have been bullied quite severly for a number of yrs, i have gotten into trouble for reasons i do not yet know and have always been told off for my short attention span and bad presentation. they're just a few of the reasons i 'HATE' school!!!
lyd

Postby parnassus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:22 pm

Then it's time for you to try and get hold of a computer. If you've tried all the suggestions you possibly can and nothing's worked, you need to bypass handwriting altogether.

This may sound difficult, but try your best not to let your hatred for school interfere with your willingness to learn. An education is so important. I was bullied all the way through school up until I turned fifteen (I'm eighteen now). The bullying peaked when I was thirteen and I had to change schools. I hated everything about learning then. When we came to take GCSEs, I was put in a low set for French because I had not completed the Year 9 exam paper. What I had written was almost unreadable. It didn't occur to the teacher that this was more a reflection on my writing and processing speed than my intelligence. As it happened, I got an A* at French GCSE (I had been assessed by then and was allowed a computer, additional time, and rest breaks). I'm now taking it for A-Level. When I signed up on A-Level Induction Day, the teacher looked at my GCSE grade and said, "Well, goodness knows how you managed that in the set you were in."

Thanks to the support I have received and my own determination to do well, I now love school. There are people who would still bully me if they could possibly get away with it, but they can't - I've proved my worth and I don't bother about what they do any more. They still seem to enjoy belittling me behind my back, but as far as I am concerned that only shows what pathetic lives they have. But to reach this level of security, I've had to constantly badger teachers for extra help. Make sure that you do the same. Don't give up.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:34 pm

Parnassus is right. Don't give up on school just because people are getting you down or picking on you. They obviously have nothing better to do and they don't understand how wonderful you are. :) They probably have low self esteem and just want to be like you because they theink you are cooler than them. 8) Which you are, by the way. 8) :) :D Don't let them interfere with your education.

As Michael Jordan always says: "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:59 am

I agree with what Michael Jordan said. I know about these people who are intellectually very capable but they spend almost every weekend binge drinking. I think to myself 'Why waste brain cells if you've got a decent brain?'
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat