Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby silver » Sat May 28, 2005 2:37 pm

Last edited by silver on Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silver

Postby alexlaird87 » Sat May 28, 2005 5:15 pm

hope you don't mind me asking, but what has caused you to be shaken?
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby silver » Sun May 29, 2005 9:36 am

Last edited by silver on Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silver

Postby alexlaird87 » Sun May 29, 2005 11:52 am

"When I asked about extra time for exams was told any dyspraxic that's gotten as far along in school as I have with the marks I get in my better subjects has been able to compensate for whatever problems they had and aren't readily elligible for any kind of help."

i don't beleive it. this can't be right. who told you this, because they need to get fired!!! i can't beleive that they are treating you this way because your gifted. are they really saying "we would help you, but your not stupid enough"?

i can't beleive that they will not help you fullfill your obvious potential because, apparently, you can't be gifted and have a learning disability?

you should be allowed extra time no matter how good you are, scince your dyspraxia hughly affects your abbility to perform well in certain subjects. there must be some one you can appeal to?
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby silver » Sun May 29, 2005 12:37 pm

Last edited by silver on Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silver

Postby alexlaird87 » Sun May 29, 2005 2:25 pm

thats ridiculous, i get extra time at college, and i am only mildly dyspraxic.
also im not sure about acting, part of me thinks "why should you pretend, since you should be aloud extra time anyway".

On the other hand i also think that if you really need the help then you should do what you can to get it. i think its up to you...
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Sun May 29, 2005 8:42 pm

Silver,

I am a member of the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth, but I am entitled to extra time, a laptop, and rest breaks. Learning difficulties do not impact on intelligence. They simply impact on how that intelligence is processed and displayed. They may even be the root cause of certain types of giftedness. It is no coincidence that so many of the best writers and public speakers show traits of dyspraxia - Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Karen Armstrong, G.K. Chesterton, Winston Churchill, Emily Bronte...

Dyspraxia is a disability. It's no use pretending it's not. But every coin has its flip side, and there's no shadow without light. It is possible that were it not for dyspraxia, you wouldn't be as gifted as you are. The right hemisphere of your brain is disabled, but the left is extremely well developed in recompense.

Remember that everyone has their problems, but ours have a name. That gives us an advantage over most people. It means that we are able to learn to cope and acquire a great sense of determination.

Many people on dyspraxia websites sign off with things like, "Dyspraxic is fantastic." That is the way to think. Dyspraxia doesn't define you, but it has shaped you, and you need to learn to accept yourself for who you are.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat