diagnoses

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

fav type of music

rock
75%
indie
No votes
classical
13%
pop stuff
13%

Total votes : 8

diagnoses

Postby fuzzy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:25 pm

Yo,

Just wondering if anyone else found being diagnosed difficult? Ive been to my GP, occupational therapist and educational physcologist when I was at school to no avail! My doc even told me that in order to be diagnosed for dyspraxia (but not dyslexia- thats much more staight foreward) I had to go to physcatiric unit! How bad is that?! Funnily enough I havent been although I know for sure that Im dyspraxic- stupid Scottish health system! GGGRRRR!!! :?

Well thats my rant over and done with,

Reb :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:10 pm

No one then?!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:29 pm

Um. I have never actually been diagnosed because I don't think I fall into a complete catergory nicely. I have been misdiagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and now I know I don't have that. But, I am classified as NLD (nonverbal learning disability), which I think is some of the same things as dyspraxia is. I find a lot of similarities between all of you and me. I think I have a mild form, if I have it. My mom does not like to think that I am LD, so I think she just says I have a Learning disability and stops there. My family doesn't try to go into specifics, so I don't know if I will ever know what I am. I don't know if the doctors can officially diagnose me as just one thing, either. :? All I know is this website is helpful for me.

Shanna-Banana :lol: 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:36 pm

Whats a diagnoses anyway? It only gives you an unwanted label in society- dyspraxics are unfortunatley stigmatised becuse of the lack of general knowlegde of it! I tell my friends but dont shout it off the rooftops- Iv never told my work coz I just think that theyd be unsupportive of it through ignorance if that makes sense! Or maybe Im just a pessimist.. wot du all think?
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:54 pm

I know what you mean. Sometimes I think I was better off without a label of LD because then I was not labeled by others. I feel embarrassed telling people about how I have to take tests in a different place than other kids and I take longer on homework. I have to tell my teachers these things so that I can get good grades on the tests. Otherwise, I don't finish the tests. I also have to explain away my disabilities to my teachers in order to get help. I have never told my summer employer. I don't think it is worth it, as I only work there 3 months out of the year.

On the other hand, I think it is useful in getting accomodations for testing and schoolwork. It kind of helps to know my tendencies too. I guess everyone has something that's a problem for them, it is just not named. Sometimes I wish it were so we'd all be labeled and then I would not feel so left out. :roll: :(
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:55 am

I haven't been medically diagnosed with Dyspraxia. I went to see my GP about it last December, but nothing has been done about it since. She probably just thought it wasn't important as I wasn't in education or work at the time.

Oh well, I've self-diagnosed myself with mild Dyspraxia and asked my parents if they think I have it, and they believe I do. I still haven't really talked to my friends about it.

On application forms when they ask if you have any special needs or learning difficulties, I now always put down Dyspraxia. I used to hesitate about putting that down as I'm not officially dyspraxic, but now i think it's important that I do. I don't know how important a diagnosis is anyway.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:35 pm

Labels are necessary and good, providing you don't allow them to define you. With an official diagnosis, you can access the right level of support and deepen your understanding of your own challenges, gifts, and demons.

Dyspraxia isn't a mental illness, so I don't see why you should need a psychiatrist. I had an assessment with the educational psychologist. Ordinarily that would be enough for a diagnosis, but she thought that my problem was severe enough to warrant further examination. I had a blood test and an MRI scan to rule out possible chromosomal disorders or brain damage. Then came a special eye test. Eventually everyone concluded that the original diagnosis - severe dyspraxia, with elements of various other things - was correct. I then underwent a battery of tests with an occupational therapist, in order to work out an appropriate treatment plan.

Could you perhaps get an assessment done privately with an educational psychologist?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:16 pm

[quote="madame_tigre"]I haven't been medically diagnosed with Dyspraxia. I've self-diagnosed myself with mild Dyspraxia . /quote]

I am not officially dyspraxic either, and my mom thinks I am more Nonverbal Learning Disability than dyspraxic, but I think I am a mix of both, whatever that means. I think they are about the same, as I have said before. 8) :D I tell my friends and my teachers about my learning disability and none of my real friends have ever made fun of me for it. :D
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:15 am

I've told people at college about Dyspraxia and when I find a new placement (got another interview today-wish me luck!) I'll tell the people there as I think they all have the right to know.

I hope my friends will understand and realise that there is a reason why I suffer in social situations and attempts at a sport etc I'm not actually sure when to tell my friends about it - I need a right time and place if there is ever one. I don't want to randomly blurt out that I think I may be Dyspraxic.

Maybe it would be easier if I had an official diagnosis. Aren't private assessments supposed to be really expensive?
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:58 am

Mine cost somewhere in the region of £300. :shock: However, the lady who assessed me is a very eminent psychologist with many claims on her time. I know someone who got it done for £100.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:11 am

good luck for the interview

I may have got something sorted as well - I could be starting tomo somewhere - all I need is the okay - it is only for a month but this is cool

Of course I will tell my employers about dyspraxia if I may help them to understand some of my weaknesses

I will never attempted to hide my dyspraxia or my weaknesses and pretent that one of my weaknesses I am good at
because someone may catch you out one day -
Phil
Forum Master

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat