Exercise

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Exercise

Postby lukeyj » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:48 am

Hey y'all.

I've recently started working out and my ultimate goal in all is to improve on myself. I understand that with dyspraxia, balance is not great, i get fatigued easily and can't stand on a spot for a long time. I was just wondering, is there anyway to overwrite most of this so i just lack a little bit of balance.

Would strengthening and toning muscles minimise balance trouble? Would work on stamina prevent myself getting knackered too easily? Etc.
lukeyj

re:

Postby k9ruby » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:03 pm

Trampiling works for me!!!!! 8)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:22 am

Have you tried Pilates? This is meant to improve balance and co-ordination. I've been doing it on a weekly basis for nearly 6 months now and although it can be extremely difficult and takes a long time to get results, I definitely think you should check it out!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:37 pm

My aunt used to own a gym in Iowa and I used to go there. There was a place called the pit, which had foam blocks in it and I used to run in it. It helps with leg strength a lot. I used to race my sisters and my cousins. Also, trampolines are good for exercise. 8) If you need to work on balance, there are floor beams that can help with that and you won't have to worry about falling off because there is no real height to them! 8)

Shanna 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:50 pm

Swimming. It uses every muscle in your body and helps you to develop strength and stamia. You can go at your own pace and it's non-competitive. It is a phenomenal exercise for people with dyspraxia.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

exercise

Postby Niam » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:24 pm

I think if you're looking to develop your muscles you should work on both arms instead of trying too hard with your stronger arm. Beccause my left arm is considerably weaker than my right and i tend to build up my right more which leaves me a bit off balance and lopsided, cos there is not an equal amount of strength in both. So to maintain greater balance you should do an equal amount of weight reps with both arms.
Niam

Postby parnassus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:12 pm

Niam is right. My occupational therapist continually warns me against asymmetry. This is why swimming is such good exercise, because all the movements are symmetrical (although I have a very weak left leg that just tends to hang limp and let my right leg do all the work). Yoga is also excellent for developing symmetry, although it leaves you feeling as if your muscles have been tied up in knots afterwards.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Trust me...

Postby lukeyj » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:51 am

I aim for symmetry, my 5 pack is lob-sided, hence the name 5-pack. :P. Also due to ten-pin bowling i have a huge right bicep and barely a left one. Working on it though.

My balance has felt a bit better since jogging more. I did 3.6 km on treadmill and 3.2km the next day. Even if it doesn't work, the sense of achivement feels good.

Note: Don't look elsewear when on the treatmill, one stands at risk of losing balance easily :P.
lukeyj

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat