Do your PE teachers understand?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Do your PE teachers understand?

Postby k9ruby » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:17 pm

Do yours?

Mine are ok with it-recently we did hurdles and i triedabout zillion times to do a half hurdle but STILL managed to bang my knee, so my teacher got some mini cones and put rounders poles on them! Also in cross countrie, The whole class have to do 2 laps, I just do 1 lap. In rounders/criket i sometimes use a tennis racket (Yes i am that bad) And even then don't manage to hit it! If we are doing a form tordamant, they give me the option of doing ball skills with 4 friends (they are very glad i am dyspraxic!!!!!) . In Swimming, instead of doing certain things (which have to be next to impossible for me!!) I do certain activities like gettingbricks under water!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:44 pm

Never really told my PE teachers, but I am pretty agile still and I don't usually have a problem with doing sports as I grew up practicing with my dad (a total sports nut, especially about baseball). I played soccer for 9 years in the park district league and both of my sisters have played for clubs. My little sister, Tara, plays for the under 13 (U-13) Panther Soccer Club here in town! She is really good. Maybe she can go pro someday. She really loves soccer. Anyway, back on topic. I was horrible at gymnastics in PE (I could only do forward rolls and not backward ones because I couldn't roll myself over all the way on the backward ones)! One of my friends couldn't do the backward ones either so my teacher still let us pass because we tried doing them and effort was what counted. She and I could not do cartwheels, hand-stands, round-offs, or back-walk-overs either so we only passed because we just tried. My teachers were pretty considerate and as long as you tried at a sport then you would pass with an A! Effort was a big part of PE.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:58 pm

The majority of my PE teachers were kind-hearted people, but they had little or no knowledge of dyspraxia and I received no extra help in those lessons. One of my classes had an odd number of people in it, so whenever we did a team sport the teacher asked the class to vote out one student. I was being badly bullied at this point and I was the one they always chose, three times a week. Yes - we had PE lessons every other day at that particular school. For an hour and a half. It was dyspraxic hell. The saddest thing was that I wanted to do my best, but I was afraid of a lot of things - the noise, the fast ball, the crowds - and ultimately I was never given the opportunity. I don't know which was worse, being made to play a game that my limbs didn't agree with or having to sit alone on the bench. My eyes still sting when I remember that time, and it's now five years later. That school shattered my confidence. When I came to the boarding school where I am now - a place that prides itself on its sporting talent and formidable reputation - I desperately did everything I conceivably could to get out of games. Mercifully, the special needs tutor took pity on me and arranged to give me extra lessons in maths during games time - though that wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs, either!

It cheers me up to read about people with co-ordination disorders who get the right help at school. We've come a long way.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:23 pm

parnassus wrote:The majority of my PE teachers were kind-hearted people, but they had little or no knowledge of dyspraxia and I received no extra help in those lessons. Yes - we had PE lessons every other day at that particular school. For an hour and a half.

It cheers me up to read about people with co-ordination disorders who get the right help at school. We've come a long way.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:00 pm

You were lucky, Shanna. If everyone concentrated primarily on effort, we'd be living in a better world. Many children don't both to try simply because they think they'll fall short of the standard required, so why should they work their socks off only to fail miserably? If effort were celebrated, attainment levels would rise in consequence.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:14 am

The PE teachers at my school were generally nice people. There were parts of them I didn't like, such as warning us that they'll lock the doors in 10 seconds so that we'd get changed quicker, but there were parts that I did respect them for such as not wanting pupils to pick the teams as they would feel sad for the ones who were picked last.

Less than a year ago I hadn't even heard of Dyspraxia so I'm not sure if the PE teachers had any knowledge on the condition. When I look back, I think that it's quite possible that they did. When we were put into groups it was often a mixed range, in hope that the confident players would help the ones who found it difficult. On other occasions I would sometimes feel fed up and left behind when I was still practicing on basic ball skills when the rest of the class were having a rally but at the end of the day I think they did this in the interest of helping me improve.

I absolutely despised P.E until the end of Year 9 and at the time I disliked the teachers and found them bossy. I don't know if I'm having false memories, but when i think about it they weren't actually that bad and pleasant comments were always written about me in my report.

In year 10 and 11, we still had to do P.E, but it was only once a week and we could choose what we wanted to do. In particular, I loved P.E in year 11 - if a 13 year old me heard me say that, then I'd have thought that I'd gone barmy! Anyway in year 11 we did Pilates, circus skills, dance and rounders and for the first time ever I actually felt part of the team and I enjoyed taking the challenges. I still can't juggle but I found it fun trying.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:56 am

I do enjoy some sports - but not the ones taught at school! I love horse riding, scuba diving, and Arabic dance. This last hobby has become quite difficult of late. Although the teacher understand my difficulties and is very sympathetic, other members of the class don't. Some treat me as if I'm made of porcelain and others act as I'm just not there. I think they're embarrassed.

Subaqua is a very demanding sport, because it doesn't just take physical stamina - you need to be able to think calmly and logically in a variety of potentially dangerous situations. Horse riding is also wonderful for me. I used to be a very proficient dressage rider, though for how much longer I don't know (riding lessons cost a lot, and my student budget may not have room for them next year!) I ride in a mixed ability class most of the time, but I join the special needs group when I'm working on new skill acquisition.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat