SOS

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

SOS

Postby Xx_vampire_xX » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:10 pm

I really need someone’s help and advise at the moment. I feel close to you all as we can all understand each other. Some of you may know that my close friends have told me to ‘get lost’. We have not spoken (as friends) for 3 months now. I am losing the world to live. I have already taken a overdose and it got me nowhere just in hospital. Things are worst than they were before. I miss them so much and I feel sour knowing that they are getting on with there lives while I’m left alone with just myself as company. These were my first proper friends and we have been that way for 3 years. I feel that I can not move on and I haven’t got any one to talk to. I don’t want to worry my parents thinking that I am going to take a overdose again and my other family all have problems of there own. Please could someone help me as I have no where else to turn to.
Thanks in advance Laura
Xx_vampire_xX
Super Poster

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:53 pm

Laura,

I read your post with tears in my eyes. It sounds like you're going through a really hard time. :( Just remember that if you ever need someone to talk to, we're here for you.

Hang in there.

Matt
Matt
Site Admin

Location: Milton Keynes, England, Europe, Earth. You may have heard of it....

Postby Helen » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:00 pm

Laura,
There is nothing I can say that will take away the hurt that you feel having lost close friendships but I understand the lonliness and unhappiness you feel. I am sending you a hug and hoping that you can find the strength to pick your self up and come to terms with what has happened.
With support you can do this and you can feel better again. When you were discharged after taking the over dose, were you not given any offer of counselling? You were crying out for help and that is what you need. Someone who will listento you and gently guide you through this difficult time. Do you have an understanding GP who you could speak with and ask for some help? I have found a few places you can contact confidentially who will be able to give you some support. Please look through the websites and give one of the numbers a call, Laura. You are feeling down for a reason and there is no shame in that. You just need a little help to begin to look to the future.

If you want to PM me and 'chat' then please feel you can. I can only 'listen' but if it will help then I am here. Everyone on the forum is here for you to share your worries with. you are not alone, Laura.

Take care,
Helen x

Samaritans
http://www.samaritans.org
Tel: 08457 90 90 90 (24 hours a day, 365 days per year)
Textphone: 08457 90 91 92
Young Minds
http://www.youngminds.org.uk
Tel: 0207 336 8445 (9.30am to 5.30pm weekdays)
CALM - Campaign Against Living Miserably
http://www.thecalmzone.net
Free Tel: 0800 58 58 58 (Daily from 5.00pm to 3.00am)
Youth Access
http://www.youthaccess.org.uk/directory/directory-of-services.cfm
Last edited by Helen on Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby Helen » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:13 pm

The following link gives lots of info about friendships and ideas for support if you feel unhappy or lonely.

http://www.connexions-direct.com/index.cfm?pid=151&catalogueContentID=414&render=detailedArticle

The connexions website is excellent for all teens aged 13-19 and has advice and help for anything you can think of from careers to relationships. Most towns have a local office where you can speak to advisers and you will be able to find your local branch via the main link. http://www.connexions-direct.com/index.cfm?pid=1 Certainly a site for you all to bookmark
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:41 am

I still think joining a Dyspraxia Foundation support group or doing some volunteer work is a good idea. Quaker Christians say that to lose your unhappiness, you should 'bury yourself in some sorrow greater than your own'. Now that doesn't sound like bright and perky advice when you first look at it, but it really does work - you throw yourself whole-heartedly into removing someone else's pain, and your own seeps away without your noticing it. The National Autistic Society is currently recruiting 'befrienders' - volunteers to make friends with young people with autism. These children/teenagers have huge difficulties socially, and they need someone to show them that they are likeable people, autism and all. Could you do that? There are many other different charitable projects that you could participate in. Find one that meets your own interests.

As Helen says, you really ought to see a professional counsellor. Be careful to choose a reputable one - avoid Freudian theorists, as their psychological knowledge is frozen in the nineteenth century - and follow the care programme they give you religiously.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:04 am

Have you considered having Cognitive behavioural therapy? It can be very helpful.
I also agrees with Vicky/parnassus. Helping others can be healing for them and you.
I'm sending you a hug. Please get better.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:19 pm

Hey Laura,

I know that right now your feeling really empty and I feel really bad for you beacuse reading your post reminds me how much it hurt when it happened to me. I agree with everyone else- do try and see a counsellor, most doctors surgeries have one in the same building. Counselling does work, I know it feels like youll never feel better but taliking about things does help- I know from personal experience. Try and talk to a member of your family too- someone you feel that you can trust- if you explian to them how bad you are feeling, I am sure that they will be supportive, they perhaps do not realise the severity of how your feeling. If you feel like you cant do either of those things, at least keep on posting on this site, we are all here for you!

Take care,

Reb x
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:09 pm

Counselling does work, I know it feels like youll never feel better but taliking about things does help- I know from personal experience.

Most counselling is helpful and most counsellors are good people. However, the profession is not regulated and a very small minority of cousellors have no qualifications or eperience. Be sure to ask your counsellor about this before hand.

Talk to us any time you need to. We're here to help.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:40 pm

If possible, find a counselling psychologist who is registered with the British Psychological Society. That is a hallmark of quality.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby bibliophile » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:11 pm

i hope you feel better soon
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:57 am

Hi Laura,

Sorry, this is a late reply as I've only just noticed this message. Reading this has made me feel very sad for you. I hope by now, you're feeling better and have manged to speak to someone. Remember that whenever you're feeling down, you can let out your emotions on this site as we are all kind, caring people who are willing to help you.

Hope you feel happy soon
Roz
-x-
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat