Uni

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Uni

Postby silver » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:08 pm

I read somewhere that the University of Essex had one of the most renown
linguistics /English language departments.

So I'm curious, which Universities have the best language and/or language departments?

Any thoughts? about universities in general? What about US or Aussie universities? What makes a school shine?

Do share. :D
silver

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:58 pm

It all depends on what you're looking for. Do you want to study Applied Linguistics or Theoretical Linguistics? Psycholinguistics? Sociolinguistics? There is no point in enrolling yourself on an exceptional course that has a strong phonetic component if you are not interested in speech science. What is best for you?

According to The Times, Queen Mary's leads the field in linguistics, closely seconded by Cambridge. Cardiff, York, Exeter, and Manchester are also very good, although York's modular system gives me a headache.

If I were you, I would avoid studying English Language with Linguistics and simply do a 'pure' linguistics course. They tend to be more highly respected. You can, however, get away with doing a degree in English Language if you couple it with Literature.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:00 pm

I am afraid I don't much about Australian or American universities. Perhaps Shanna can answer the second part of your question? :D
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:59 pm

You should go to a uni in Scotland! My flatmate does English with sociology at Aberdeen and really enjoys all the components of the couse. Edinburgh haas a generally good reputation as a good uni, but I doont really know a lot about thier English dep. York is totally amazing too its one of the best unis, the third best in the Uk I think (after oxford and cambridge). Hope this is of some help and not too Scottish biased,

Reb 8)

PS- INTERSTING FACT: did you know that the last ball at Oxford unis ball had a budget of 17 million?! They got Sting to play! No wonder they have to pay such high fees!
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:31 pm

St Andrew's is also very good - I applied there to do English with Middle Eastern Studies, but chose Cambridge instead when my offers came through. I would have liked St Andrew's as second choice, but they stipulated the same grades as Cambridge, so that would have been foolhardy.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:51 pm

Wow, Your a smart cookie parnasuss! Yeh St andrews is nice, have you been? One of my friends is going there in September. Its a nice place but really expensive to live in (Prince William, stoopid royalty raising prices grumble grumble...)

:D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:18 pm

The Tmes publshes a book called "The Good Uniersity guide" which lists how well Universities do both overall and in individul subjects. Look at prospecti and University websites, an try an get in ntact wth students at the Universities you are interested in.
Take into account the cost of livng and resources available for dyspraxic students.
Some Universities are very small and have a strong community feel. Larger ones give you more anonymity. Which would you prefer?
Bear in mind that some Universites have problems with people who live near the University attacking the students, physically or verbally.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:53 pm

Thank you for that, Fuzzy. You probably wouldn't think me such a smart cookie if you'd been a fly on the wall at my interview! I got lost (and very footsore) on the way to the college, fell asleep in my room upon arrival and nearly missed the admissions test, and then clammed up in the interview room. It was horrible. My mind went completely numb and I made an awful literary gaffe that my form tutor will probably tease me about forever and a day. ("That wasn't one of your best analyses, Vicky!") When the college sent a feedback letter to my school, they wrote that it was really the last five minutes of the interview that saved me. "She livened up when talking about Congreve..."

Thank Heavens for Congreve's existence, that's all I can say. (Ironic, seeing as I really disliked his play The Way of the World at first!)

The Times Good University Guide is an excellent source, but do bear in mind that the universities with the best overall rankings may not be the best for your particular course. Look at the Linguistics league tables first, and then consider the course content.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat